Question Winter Work Gloves

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Winter Work Gloves

Post by Brebis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:06 am

The best winter work gloves/mittens I’ve had are ones I knitted out of Icelandic fleece. I have very small stout hands that get very cold quickly and working in the barn for extended periods was torture.

They are really a mittens with a forefinger so you can grip things with your forefinger and thumb but also have your forefinger in the mitten to keep warm. The Icelandic fleece has both coarse and very fine fibres that form a nice dense but soft mitten that is warm and resists moisture-ideal when you have to fiddle with water buckets and broken waterers! For extra warmth I’d wear the small cheap gloves inside and sometimes a gortex mitten overtop when out getting bales on the tractor.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Winter glove update:
1. the stretchy cotton liner type gloves worn inside the rubber grippy garden gloves worked well, but not in these frigid temperatures, so had to go to Plan B;
2. am now wearing the cotton liners in those poorly cut work gloves (from the feed store), and this is OK for some quick fowl chores. They just have to be inserted every time, which makes bundling up an event. And they do not have very good dexterity.
The biggest problem is finding outdoor winter work gloves for women. If more stores carried a men's size small or xs, which is close to women's medium, I would have more success finding a pair.
'Nuff said! Thanks for all the input!

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm

I have Stihl chainsaw gloves with a cheap pair of dollarama fuzzy gloves inside. The Stihl gloves are a bit pricey but this is my third winter with same pair so not to bad. I am amazed how warm my hands stay and I hardly ever have to take off my gloves to do fiddley stuff.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:57 pm

goatgal35 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm
I have Stihl chainsaw gloves with a cheap pair of dollarama fuzzy gloves inside. The Stihl gloves are a bit pricey but this is my third winter with same pair so not to bad. I am amazed how warm my hands stay and I hardly ever have to take off my gloves to do fiddley stuff.
That sounds promising. I'll keep an eye out for that kind and try them on!

Return to “Around the Waterer”