How cold is too cold?

General discussion forum.
Flat Rock Farm

Re: How cold is too cold?

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 am

How cold is too cold?

-When you have to go out 3 times a day to make sure the chickens have water that is not frozen or slushy.

-Top water line is frozen even with the heat tracer on.

-Outside dog wants in the house when her house outside is inside a insulated room and her house in that room is insulated and she has a heat lamp.

- Furnace seems to come on every 10 minutes even with the wood stove going.

- Finally when your out longer than 15 minutes, you nose starts to run and before you know it your nostril are frozen shut (well not literally but it sure feels like it)........

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:57 am

labradors wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 am
Is anyone using heated perches? I was wondering how they would work. I mean, they sound like a great idea as long as they don't get pooped on!

Linda
Linda...they ALWAYS get poop on....law of nature... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 am

So when I hear of very cold temps on the way I start sprinkling pine shavings on my poop board. Makes for easy clean-up each morning. I use an old metal trowel and a dustpan and just fling frozen poop off the board/into the pan then dumped into a bucket outside. Takes only a few minutes, not many extra shavings and keeps the coop cleaner and drier.
@labradors I didn't and wouldn't buy the heated perches because I'm not much of a believer in them helping in these kind of temps but I did do something I'm sure will make a few of you roll your eyes lol. I replaced my barn coat this year because the chickens were pulling stuffing out of the other one everytime I was in there. My banties love the lining in that coat (Sherpa). I cut the coat up and stapled the lining on their perch. They snuggle up on it and refuse to sit on the "naked" part of the perch now. I know, I know....save the criticism because it falls on deaf ears here. They like it and it doesn't hurt anything. If I can make them more comfortable I do.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 am

I have a layer of sweet pdz (zeolite) on my poop board (it's actually a poop drawer, like a litter box), so ordinarily, it's easy peasy to clean with kitty litter scoops. The problem is that my old girl has been having runny poops lately, so it seeps right through to the board and freezes hard and fast in these temps.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:23 am

Jaye wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 am
I have a layer of sweet pdz (zeolite) on my poop board (it's actually a poop drawer, like a litter box), so ordinarily, it's easy peasy to clean with kitty litter scoops. The problem is that my old girl has been having runny poops lately, so it seeps right through to the board and freezes hard and fast in these temps.
Oh no I hope she's ok Jaye. Doesn't help much with your frozen mountain now but maybe if you can get it chipped off then a sheet of waxed paper under the pdz?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 am

Flat Rock Farm wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 am
How cold is too cold?

I thought it was only us, wood furnace going full blast, but the oil is still kicking in....

waiting for yeast dough to rise may take a while, although its sitting right on top of the wood furnace!
still manage a half hour walk with the dog, but walk in the forest so no wind makes a bit of a difference, but not much.
Dog uses alternate 3 legs while giving me dirty looks as if I am the one who is causing this :)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:54 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 am
Flat Rock Farm wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 am
How cold is too cold?

I thought it was only us, wood furnace going full blast, but the oil is still kicking in....

waiting for yeast dough to rise may take a while, although its sitting right on top of the wood furnace!
still manage a half hour walk with the dog, but walk in the forest so no wind makes a bit of a difference, but not much.
Dog uses alternate 3 legs while giving me dirty looks as if I am the one who is causing this :)
Same here, wood furnace is going but oil kicks in and takes the chill out of the air. House gets hot if the sun shines but once it sets you can feel things start to cool down.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Happy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 am
S@labradors I didn't and wouldn't buy the heated perches because I'm not much of a believer in them helping in these kind of temps but I did do something I'm sure will make a few of you roll your eyes lol. I replaced my barn coat this year because the chickens were pulling stuffing out of the other one everytime I was in there. My banties love the lining in that coat (Sherpa). I cut the coat up and stapled the lining on their perch. They snuggle up on it and refuse to sit on the "naked" part of the perch now. I know, I know....save the criticism because it falls on deaf ears here. They like it and it doesn't hurt anything. If I can make them more comfortable I do.
Ahhh! That's so sweet of you Happy :)

Linda

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Jaye wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 am
I want to try poop boards in the new coop (to be built in the spring). Where do you get the sweet pdz? I've looked online and it's much more expensive in Canada than it is in the US (like so many things :()

I wonder if the board could be lined with plastic, and then old newspaper could be placed on top for more abosrbency.

Linda

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:16 pm

I have a natural gas furnace which has been running almost constantly for days. It was -35 overnight with a wind chill near -50. Today there is not much wind, but it is deadly cold. I have wanted a wood stove or fireplace ever since I moved here, but have never put one in. The provincial insurance company makes you pay an extra $250.00 a year on your premium if you have either of them. Is it like that in every province? I haven't checked with other insurance companies. There are only a few others (provincial government has a monopoly), and they don't usually have a policy for acreages - only farms, businesses, or residential. I need to compare the cost of furnace heat (the rates for power and natural gas -both used by my furnace- are going up in January again) with the cost of purchase, installation, wood (I would have to buy it) and extra insurance fees for a wood stove.
I bet it feels really nice to have a warm fire when it's horribly cold outside.

Return to “Around the Waterer”