Photo Fail!

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Photo Fail!

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 am

:doh:

My Easter eggers turned out some really pretty looking chickens. Some came out mottled with a lot of white on their tails. I had been selling all the really nice looking pullets because I thought I would get rid of everything but I changed my mind near the end. Lucky for me, a friend had hatched six of my eggs and wanted to give them back to me for the winter. I was very happy to take them back, especially since one pullet turned out mottled and the most interesting thing of all, was she is a black hen with an all white tail. Very cool looking, like someone stuck a white leghorn tail on a black hen. Before I got a picture of her, she is approaching laying age so she dropped her baby tail feathers and grew back adult feathers. She is more mottled now but but but.... can everyone guess what happened, her tail grew back all black.

:sAng_banghead:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Photo Fail!

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Lol. Of course! And if you had taken your camera out to photograph her she would have dropped all her tail feathers right then and there....murphys law.
sounds like recessive white on an extended black background. Love ees - never really know what you will get when they hatch and the colours are pretty wild sometimes!!! Maybe her next moult she will lighten up some, but inmy experience once the black gets expressed it doesnt leave very readily....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Lol. Of course! And if you had taken your camera out to photograph her she would have dropped all her tail feathers right then and there....murphys law.
sounds like recessive white on an extended black background. Love ees - never really know what you will get when they hatch and the colours are pretty wild sometimes!!! Maybe her next moult she will lighten up some, but inmy experience once the black gets expressed it doesnt leave very readily....
I find that so strange that the genes that gave her a white tail, suddenly now cause her to have a black tail. I kept a mottled rooster, if I have a chance to breed them, it would be cool to start a new breed "Black Mottled - White Bums" that's the name I will choose, lol.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Lol I would buy some just to say that name!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Ha! Ha! Just shorten the name to White Bums, everyone will buy them ,the new designer chickens!

Return to “Around the Waterer”