Traditions

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Traditions

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm

So with Solstice and other celebrations upon us I asked Fowler from another site permission to post his contributions from last year.
Enjoy!
I tried to copy the pictures too but it wouldn't let me.
"Christmas has gotten too commercial. For that reason, this year I plan to get back to my northern European roots. Instead of Santa, we will be awaiting our visit from Berchta The Disembowler.

She brings gifts to the good children. Bad children get... I'm not sure... I'm thinking probably a good talkin' to and some finger wagging.

Here comes Berchta, Here comes Berchta
Right down disembowl lane
She's sharpening up her plowshare
To sew you up again
Hear that iron chain jingle jangle
Oh, what a horrific sight
Better lock your door and sleep with your gun
Cause Berchta comes tonight

I've seen that she may stuff you with garbage, chaff, straw and pebbles... maybe it just depends on her mood at the time.

I know there are a lot of animal lovers on here so you should also be on the lookout for Jólakötturinn (the Yule Cat). In Iceland, the Yule Cat comes at Christmastime to eat anyone who isn't wearing any new clothing (because they obviously didn't do all their chores). The tradition calls for an item of new clothing to be given to poor people so the cat won't eat them.

and some people think that the lack of sunlight affects mood. What a load of tosh!
Anywho, she only comes December 25 and the 12 days after. Meanhwhile, in the 13 days leading up to Christmas, we are being visited (one at a time) by the 13 Christmas Lads. In Icelandic folklore, the 13 Yule Lads (trolls) come down from the hills on the 13 days leading up to Christmas. December 19was the night for Skyr-Gobbler, who apparently really likes Skyr (Icelandic version of a mild yogurt), so if your skyr was missing, that's what happened. Last night was Sausage-Swiper (had our sausage all safely in the freezer), tonight will be Window-Peeper (looking for things to steal), followed by Doorway-Sniffer (smelling for a bread that he likes), Meat-Hook (steals meat) and, finally, Candle-Stealer (steals tallow candles to eat, not sure how he'd like the scented candles we have around here). In bygone days they ranged from pranksters to outright killers but they have, apparently, gone soft in recent decades.

Moving over towards my own ancestors stomping grounds, and the viking celebration of the winter solstice, apparently I am supposed to sacrifice a boar to Frey (God of fertility and farming) to ensure a good growing season next year. I guess a ham will have to do.

Likewise, be on the watch for the Yule Goat (Julbock). No doubt derived from Thor's goats, the Yule Goat would bring gifts and (as I recall) would butt the naughty children (always comes back to violence with these guys).

An old custom was for young people to dress up in goat skins and go from house to house and sing and perform simple plays. They were rewarded with food and drink.

I wonder what the neighbors would do if I put on a goat skin and went around singing and performing... I'm thinking a visit from the police would be the result."
Last edited by Killerbunny on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Traditions

Post by ross » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Sounds like a toga party to me ..👻👹👽😈
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Think I will just stick with Santa.
:hide:
I especially don't want to meet some crazy troll called the sausage swiper!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 pm

HOHO OHNO... So much for tradition .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 2444 times

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I am pretty sure I have nothing to top this groosomness.....
When I was growing up, it was Dec 6th St Nicholas and an Angel who brought gifts for your stockings and Black Peter who put coal in the stockings of children who have been bad, but I hear Black Peter has been made redundant for being politically incorrect or perhaps there is a shortage of coal?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:58 am

Just bumping this one!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:23 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:46 pm
I am pretty sure I have nothing to top this groosomness.....
When I was growing up, it was Dec 6th St Nicholas and an Angel who brought gifts for your stockings and Black Peter who put coal in the stockings of children who have been bad, but I hear Black Peter has been made redundant for being politically incorrect or perhaps there is a shortage of coal?
Should be lots a coal OC since we’re not using it anymore.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Who knew that 2017 would be the the good old days ? ;)

Return to “Around the Waterer”