To sell or not to sell

General discussion forum.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: To sell or not to sell

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:18 pm

I have one customer :D a delightful olde rPolish couple; the fellow has multiple chemical sensitivities and they insist my eggs are THE BEST EVER. They take everything I have to spare. I charge $3 a dozen, but the lady insists on paying $5 and will not let me accept less. They are especially delighted for the green and blue eggs and say tkhey taste the best of any eggs, so I try to fill her order with only coloured eggs. I get such a kick out of them swooning over my eggs, that honestly I'd give them to them for nothing and I usually try to sneak in freebies.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Interestingly my friend, Kelly, can eat the blue or green ones but not the others. I wonder if there is a difference in liver metabolism or something?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm

KyleS wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 pm
Seems like thats all people want farrier is easter eggers or mutts, hard to sell pure standard bred but maybe thats because not many people have bantam new hampshires like me
Assuming we are still discussing hatching eggs......
You have to know who you are selling to.
Kijiji is the mutt, colorful eggs and hen and chick crowd, with an occasional wing nut thrown in for good measure, but some people do well that way, (depending on what you consider doing well means )
SOP birds, to get a decent price for either hatching eggs or breeding stock, you need to show and look to advertise in poultry papers and on line groups that lean towards SOP birds.
Which ever way you decide to go, it definitely requires some marketing efforts.
I just had a quick peek at my Ameraucana hatching eggs sales in 2014 between March and May I sold 30 doz at $ 24 per doz
Combined Auctions and the old Poultry Swap forum and BST
2015 almost identical sales and waiting list to fill orders.
By 2016 I wasn't going to Auctions and BST and there was very little interest anywhere else in Ameraucana hatching eggs, but then I wasn't willing to do the leg work. :)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Oh, also muscovy eggs, or adults --I can't even give those away. Ducklings sometimes sell in Spring, but it's not worth the hassle so I don't bother. I can't seem to get more than $15 for an adult hen, and at that price they're better off in my freezer.

KyleS
On the Roost

Post by KyleS » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm
KyleS wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 pm
Seems like thats all people want farrier is easter eggers or mutts, hard to sell pure standard bred but maybe thats because not many people have bantam new hampshires like me
Assuming we are still discussing hatching eggs......
You have to know who you are selling to.
Kijiji is the mutt, colorful eggs and hen and chick crowd, with an occasional wing nut thrown in for good measure, but some people do well that way, (depending on what you consider doing well means )
SOP birds, to get a decent price for either hatching eggs or breeding stock, you need to show and look to advertise in poultry papers and on line groups that lean towards SOP birds.
Which ever way you decide to go, it definitely requires some marketing efforts.
I just had a quick peek at my Ameraucana hatching eggs sales in 2014 between March and May I sold 30 doz at $ 24 per doz
Combined Auctions and the old Poultry Swap forum and BST
2015 almost identical sales and waiting list to fill orders.
By 2016 I wasn't going to Auctions and BST and there was very little interest anywhere else in Ameraucana hatching eggs, but then I wasn't willing to do the leg work. :)

I don't mind the marketing as I have showm a bit and done well I am just curious if it is worth the hassle to sell purebred sop bred hatching eggs pr if I will end up with too many people wanting the weird and wonderful kind of birds/eggs to each their own lol

Return to “Around the Waterer”