General discussion forum.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Pasture pork.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am
There are some great videos on YouTube with wild boars climbing over six foot fences, you have to see it to believe it. I can see why they hate them, 30 turkeys can destroy a crop, imagine 30 pigs! There are companies that sell all kinds of equipment just to trap them.
My herd sire, Hank, lives in a modified horse stall because he was climbing the pens, even solid walls like a goat. He's a Large Black in excess of 500 lbs., and he must live in the stall because I haven't yet found the fence that will slow him down. The place that I got him from had electrified moose fence to keep their breeder sows in when turned out to pasture...and I'm not sure that would stop Hank. Last winter, he snatched the glove off my hand in the blink of an eye when I was being a little too slow with his supper...and it could have very easily been my hand with it. The thought of wild boars running loose is frankly terrifying to me, I think I'd rather it be lions!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 pm
Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am
There are some great videos on YouTube with wild boars climbing over six foot fences, you have to see it to believe it. I can see why they hate them, 30 turkeys can destroy a crop, imagine 30 pigs! There are companies that sell all kinds of equipment just to trap them.
My herd sire, Hank, lives in a modified horse stall because he was climbing the pens, even solid walls like a goat. He's a Large Black in excess of 500 lbs., and he must live in the stall because I haven't yet found the fence that will slow him down. The place that I got him from had electrified moose fence to keep their breeder sows in when turned out to pasture...and I'm not sure that would stop Hank. Last winter, he snatched the glove off my hand in the blink of an eye when I was being a little too slow with his supper...and it could have very easily been my hand with it. The thought of wild boars running loose is frankly terrifying to me, I think I'd rather it be lions!

We had a lion on the loose up here as well, not a good feeling but they finally caught it again. I was thinking if those big hairy boars from Russia ever escaped around here, there would be no stopping them. Our forests are similar to their habitat and once you get past my place, it's pretty much wilderness. There are ravines and swamps that run for miles that you couldn't even get through with an atv, they could hide for weeks without ever seeing a person. I just hope nobody gets that idea in their head.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm

FYI: the guy that shot the pigs should be charged with trespassing, and what ever can be thrown at him: in my opinion
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm

DW ( Dwelle) GERMANY
German wild boars go on the rampage
Berlin has long held a reputation for harboring thousands of the animals, who often maraud local residents. This time a herd of them struck them right near the city's airport.

Near Berlin's Tegel airport, an errant herd of wild boar attacked several people, injuring three on Saturday, police announced.

At about 2 p.m. the panicked herd attacked people at Kurt-Schumacher-Platz before bolting into the nearby Volkspark Rehberge, a 78-hectare (193 acres) lightly forested memorial garden.

There they attacked a woman and two men. By this stage police had arrived to control the situation.

Local media reported that it took authorities 18 shots to down one 200-kilogram boar, while the rest of the herd escaped.

The outer rings of Berlin have long had a reputation of being overrun by marauding wild boar. Especially in the colder months, many of the 4,000-6,000 Central European boar in Berlin leave the safety of the city's many forests and forage in the urban areas, sometimes causing chaos. Several attacks are reported each year.
http://m.dw.com/en/german-wild-boars-go ... a-37318755
IMG_2935.JPG
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Imagine: no speed limits in Deutschland and there's a 200kg (441 pound) pig on the road!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:59 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm
FYI: the guy that shot the pigs should be charged with trespassing, and what ever can be thrown at him: in my opinion
He was actually charged few days ago, not sure with what though.
What bogles the mind here is that beside the fact he was trespassing, he wasn't able to tell a difference between a Vietnamese potbellied pig and a wild boar.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:38 pm

No shortage of poorly informed folks in the world. Or, shall we call them idiots.

And sometimes I am the idiot. I try to do that less and less. Being an idiot is too expensive or painful.

Return to “Around the Waterer”