Pasture pork.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Re: Pasture pork.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:07 pm

I also bought pasture organic beef, I know the guy that was selling it. The beef was not that much more expensive than the store beef. I noticed the hamburger didn't have that funny smell when cooking it like store bought hamburger. I didn't notice a difference in the taste at first and was a little disappointed. However once I was half way through my meal I noticed a nicer after taste to it and by the end of the meal I could notice a difference.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Except pot belly pigs, those are kind of cute, I still wouldn't want one but I can see why people would have one.

By the way, did you guys see on the news, a young couple bought two baby pot bellies and raised them up and loved them like people love their dogs. One day they got out but stayed on their own farm, doesn't matter because some crazy hunter came in and shot them because he thought wild boars were invading the Ottawa area. We don't have wild boars in the Ottawa area, a hunter should have known that. Anyway the couple is heartbroken, they have all these pictures of them, you could tell they were their surrogate children.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Good end to the "intellectually challenged hunter" story,
breeder from west coast is sending a replacement pair of piglets and Air Canada is picking up the tab.....
now everybody together ohhhhhh ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:45 pm

I have to admit I thought Wilbur? at Jans had the cutest face ever. Tamworth boar around 600+lb!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:41 pm

I agree with KB re: Wilbur. Never thought "cute" could describe an enormous Tamworth boar, but in Wilbur's case, it fits.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm
Good end to the "intellectually challenged hunter" story,
breeder from west coast is sending a replacement pair of piglets and Air Canada is picking up the tab.....
now everybody together ohhhhhh ;)

Christmas piggies? I would think there should be some around here lol! I bet there would be a lot of people who would give them some free. I have been asked many times if I would take some, NOOooooo! Lol

The pigs at the pasture pork farm are Tamworth, one was a mix. I am sure the adults are at least 500lbs, interesting to see, like a pig zoo lol. Not really a fan of pigs but it's nice to see them running around free and not in crates. My dad said they used to use pigs in the old days to clear land, he said they were like mini bulldozers. In fact he always called one of the fields, "the pig pasture".

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 am

"Ask any farmer or landowner from the southern United States and they will tell you feral pigs, otherwise know as the Eurasian Wild Pig are one of the biggest nuisances they face. With populations at unprecedented levels and their presence being felt in 39 states (or more), these beasts terrorize farmers and landowners by destroying crops and rooting up land. Simple put they are the definition of invasive."

"It seems we too may soon have to deal with these invasive pests according to recent memorandum released by the Ministry of Natural Resources. Apparently feral pigs have been spotted in the united counties of Prescott and Russell which are located east of Ottawa between Ottawa and Hawkesbury. According to the memorandum, the MNR have authorized farmers and hunters to kill feral pigs under the authority of a small game licence (See a copy of the memorandum below)." an exerpt from:
https://wildsofontario.com/2015/03/30/w ... n-ontario/

That is no surprise to me as Bear Brook Farms near Navan ( East Ottawa) http://bearbrookgamemeats.com/products/wild-boar/
has raised "wild boar" for 40 years and they are escape artists. Has the farm ever publicly announced these potentially dangerous animals ever escaped? not that I know of.

then there's Papanack Zoo near Wendover (15 minutes from Bear Brook) and they had a lion loose two years ago so no doubt they could have lost "wild pigs"

sorry skinnyrooster but you are incorrect.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

Of course there could be some escaped boars around but they are not a native animal. Even when asked the guy from the ministry said they are not native to this area. The guys should have thought for a second or two before shooting, it would be much more likely to be a domestic pig is what I am saying. I know people with the black pasture pigs, it's more likely to be something like that. They should have also know the difference between a wild boar and a pot belly pig, although to be honest they were a little fuzzy for winter I guess. Same as the guys who ran into my friend's barnyard saying they have the right to shoot deer while pointing at the Nubian goats..... eating out of a hay feeder.... with horses. Same as the guy who shot a moose standing near a tent..... even the halter didn't clue him in to what a donkey was, same as the guy who shot a black bear grazing with the sheep, apparently he didn't know sheep could be black as well, same as the guy who shot a deer through a deer fence, he couldn't tell the difference between a white tail deer and a spotted fallow deer in an enclosure. Just saying be careful. I used to know a lot of farmers around the Bearbrook farm, they never complained and many are cash croppers, unless that has changed recently.

There are some great videos on YouTube with wild boars climbing over six foot fences, you have to see it to believe it. I can see why they hate them, 30 turkeys can destroy a crop, imagine 30 pigs! There are companies that sell all kinds of equipment just to trap them.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:03 pm

I saw a series of photos when I was in Europe of a wild boar going over a fence and taking out a hunting dog. Man those things are fast.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

We had friends near Arthur that had wild boars for a while and though they never lost any it was a constant battle to keep them secured in their own property...they eventually switched to dairy sheep!

Seems to me I read a hunter in Germany was recently killed by a wild boar he was hunting-the hunter became the hunted!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”