Question Bumblefoot

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Bumblefoot

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Ok..here goes...bumblefoot...first question...can the infection rise out the top of the foot rather than the bottom or is that a different condition?... If it is bumblefoot and I m orepared to excise the core, what is the preferred way to disinfect the wound and how does one properly wrap the foot to prevent further filth from gettting into the healing wound?...my one and only EE hen has this and although she doesnt seem to feel it, i do think it needs to be taken care of...
...now the other part to this is, does a regular bottom of the foot bumblefoort ever just go away on its own?...one of my EE roosters had this and he was limping and I examined his foot thoroughly and I am sure I pegged it correctly as bumblefoot but after a few weeks of limping it appears to have subsided to virtualy nothing and there is no break in the footskin...weird? Or have I misdiagnosed?

Cheers :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Bumblefoot

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I had one hen who had the infection between her toes and it went to the top, ruptured on its own and healed fine. Not sure if that's what you mean.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

yes it can arise on the top of the foot. and yes it can spontaneously resolve if it's not too bad. the signature of bumblefoot is a black spot where the core of the bumblefoot developed.
to disinfect just pack with betadine, polysporin or something like that. take some vet wrap and cut a strip about 1 inch wide and 1 foot long and wrap between the toes across the wound and tape the end down (try not to use red vet wrap or tape). take that bandage off the next day. after that you shouldn't need to wrap it anymore or you can for another day.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:34 pm

:iagree:
Bumblefoot can be anywhere, not just on feet, bottom of foot just happens to be the most common. Sometimes it will resolve on it's own, sometimes it will stabilize, cyst off and just be a permanent minor nuisance. Sometimes (luckily rarely)the infection will destroy tendons or even bone. Even more rarely, it can suddenly go septic. That happened only once to me, a big heavy turkey...I was hesitant to do anything with his bumble because I was afraid of him going off his feet--he was too big and awkward to stand on one foot while the other healed, so I decided to watch and wait. It all went south very fast, and his bulk was probably a contributing factor (Kronk was broad breasted), but I would be hesitant to leave a bumble untreated again.
Salt water to soften the scab, otherwise it can get VERY bloody, a strong salt water or mild betadine solution to rinse and flush while you're cleaning it, and pack the hole with antibiotic ointment...but don't use the pain relieving stuff as some birds can react very badly to it. If you don't have vet wrap, a self adhesive support bandage from the drug store is the exact same thing, but will cost 5 times as much lol. In a pinch, gauze and tape work just fine, but they usually figure out how to pull that off.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks folks..i knew i would get the answers here
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”