Bunny opinions wanted.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Bunny opinions wanted.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 am

:bunnyhop: = :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

My buddy told me that one of the rabbits he gave me could be pregnant. If she is it would be three weeks now and maybe plus a day or two. I put in a box three days ago and I keep putting in hay and nice dried soft grass to see if she will make a nest. She ignores the box completely, makes no attempt to make a nest and eats all the hay and grass, usually I find this to be a sign that she is not pregnant, which I actually would prefer. Anyone else with rabbits agree?

How funny is it that every time I type the words rabbit or bunny, my phone suggests that the next word could be "pregnant"! Hahaha.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Re: Bunny opinions wanted.

Post by goatgal35 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am

I dont put in nest boxes much before 27 days gestation and most of mine eat the hay right up until the day before they knidle. Most dont start nest building until the day before they kindle. There is the odd one who builds a nest way in advance but most dont. Good luck.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:36 pm

After 3 weeks, you should be able to "palpate" go gently with your fingers along both sides of her belly and you should feel something like a row of large beads along the sides.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 pm

I usually found that by two weeks, if pregnant the mother will start carrying bedding in her mouth. She usually doesn't make a nest with fur etc; however I usually see them make a false nest. I have also had mothers not do a thing until the day before as goatgal said. I even had a blue lionhead that would have nothing in the nest, then suddenly an hour or two later, there would be this giant furball in hay that was moving. She would pretend like nothing happened. Sounds like this is common then. I will try your trick OC. Does not really matter either way, babies or no babies. Little bunnies are cute but no bunnies is a lot less work.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:38 am

Uh oh, two days ago I put in a bunch of hay like I do every day and I could see that she was on a mission, she was a busy little bunny, building a nest, so it looks like babies are on the way any day now.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:51 am

Skinny I think that you secretly wanted some baby bunnies! Come on now don't lie...you're just a wee bit happy about this lol!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 am

Happy wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:51 am
Skinny I think that you secretly wanted some baby bunnies! Come on now don't lie...you're just a wee bit happy about this lol!
Happy it's kinda scary the way total strangers know me so well on this site, lol. Baby bunnies is its very own happy place in my head. Barn is still warm so it should be ok.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:39 am

:bunnyhop: = :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:46 am

Tuesday evening I noticed a tiny ball of fur in the nest that the mother had made, I didn't see any movement. Yesterday I peeked in with a flashlight and the fur ball began to jump so I left it alone. She is a Netherland dwarf bred to a small mutt house rabbit so the babies will be tiny, so I am not going to touch anything for a while.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Ooooooh definitely going to need a pic of baby bunnies!

And...the reason I guessed that you were secretly happy that there was baby bunnies on the way is because I would have been secretly hoping for the same! See if you purposely planned it then people may call you crazy or judge you. But if the whole thing was one big oops and now you just have to deal with the hand you were dealt then you are perfectly sane and almost heroic for rolling with the punches!
Congrats grampa skinny lol

Return to “Around the Waterer”