Being Canadian

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Being Canadian

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm

How is it that when the weather man reports "snow tomorrow" so many of us act shocked and start knocking off the list of "things to get done before snow flies" like bringing in hoses and collecting all the garden tools and tying down the tarps on the wood pile and raking dry leaves into the chicken pen and hauling patio furniture into the garage, turning water off to outside taps, cleaning the junk up on the part of the lawn I need to snow blow. Ugh...that's my list from yesterday. Thankfully the chicken pen was tarped already. I went to work today (at a cold weather clothing destination store) and like all the other 27 years I worked there people were flocking in and in a panic to get boots/coats/mitts... If there's one thing we are guaranteed as Canadians it's that winter is coming. But I for one am surprised every year when it gets here lol.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Being Canadian

Post by Brebis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Haha, I was doing the same things yesterday and today!
I guess we have a subconscious hope it’ll pass us by this year...
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Happy! I didn't recognize you with your new Avatar {LOL}

Well written and ain't that the truth? Perhaps we feel as if we have ages to get everything done - especially this year when we were lulled into a false sense of security with all that lovely warm weather for so long!

Today, I treated myself to a warm winter jacket. Came home and emptied the last rain barrel, picked all the chard, closed the window on the coop and added a pile of dried leaves. I do hope that the chickens will stay warm AND that the coop won't blow away.....

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Ready ...
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 am

image.jpg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 am

We have been spoiled with a very mild Fall and I know here we only had our first real hard frost this week. My annual flowers most were still looking good. But yes all true to what you are saying and could be why yesterday the traffic (in Cambridge) was over the top for a Thursday afternoon.

Oh well it's here, this will be the first kick for people to get done what they need to get done. Will be getting milder again so will have time to finish up what's left to clean up in the gardens and get my greenery done in my pots and urns :YES:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 am

well...the snowsqualls i drove through this morning were scary enough to reassert that we live near the great lakes here!......hubby put the winters on my truck last night and i'm glad he did! the roads down here were a mess, they pulled the plows out! and usually we aren't under plow contracts until mid december. couldn't see a hand in front of my face through melbourne this morning and between melbourne and delaware there had to be 6 inches in places on the road.....stay in the middle and guess where the road is kind of snow squall. trucks coming towards you made white out just keep going straight until it clears. And i get to london, the roads are wet, not even really slushy and there's yahoos with summer tires on sliding through red lights and people driving literally 4 km/hr on wet BARE roads.......unbelievable. it happens every year....and every year they "forget".
i did bring the hummingbird feeders in last night....i forgot about those last weekend, and the rain gauge...lol. it's going to warm up again in a day or two...we'll finish the wood splitting on the weekend and get it off the ground and stacked when hubby isn't out trying to find a deer.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:19 am

Well my boat is put away all winterized but my pool is still up and the garden hose is still hanging on the fence... SHOOT! I'll get aroundtuit. HAHA
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am

Here you go Al glad I have lots to share . Lol
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA