All chicken flights GROUNDED!!!

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

All chicken flights GROUNDED!!!

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 am

The chickens are grounded today! The last few nice days I had them out with me while working around the farm. It's nice to see them running around and these guys love to fly, it's amazing how far and high they can go. This morning however when I was eating my breakfast, as it began to get light out, I noticed how one fence post looked much higher than the others. There was a huge red tailed hawk sitting on a post next to the barn, actually I should have said HUUUGE hawk. The kind that killed my neighbour's muscovy ducks, imagine what it would do to bantams not much bigger than Old English game bantams. It jumped from post to post, they do a lot of good so I don't want to hurt it, so for today I will keep the birds in because I am not sure where it is now.

Does anyone know if it is migrating or do they stay around in winter?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: All chicken flights GROUNDED!!!

Post by ross » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Usually move south as weather gets worse . Ones your seeing now would be locals & those from north coming thru . Depends on weather & ability to forage how long they stay . This is time of year I don't fly my pigeons anymore & lockup chickens till skies clear . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 pm

ross wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm
Usually move south as weather gets worse . Ones your seeing now would be locals & those from north coming thru . Depends on weather & ability to forage how long they stay . This is time of year I don't fly my pigeons anymore & lockup chickens till skies clear . Luck

Thank you Ross for the information. I wasn't sure, when I lived in Ottawa they stayed all winter because of the experimental farm, there is plenty of food in the form of ten million pigeons and also rabbits. However I don't ever remember seeing a hawk out here in the country during winter. I never really thought about groups of hawks moving through and of course hunting on their way south. It's supposed to snow tomorrow around here so hopefully that will push them out. I will keep my little ladies close to me, I appreciate the warning.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm

ross wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm
:I agree:
Just passing through, or very young and hungry and hasn't figured things out quite yet. Either way, he won't stick around if he's not getting fed.
As an aside, if he's HUGE for a redtail, then he is a she :)

Return to “Around the Waterer”