The roosters vs hens issue.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

The roosters vs hens issue.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:25 am

Roosters vs hens when hatching, I have come to accept the fact that roosters will almost always out number hens when hatching, to the point I don't even count anymore. It's kind of sad however when you have one third hens and two thirds roosters and you think you had a good year lol. I counted how many hens I will have over winter, 14, not a bad number since they are all small. The thing that got me is I still have 9 roosters. One I picked to stay, probably another two will be spared but the rest will be named Stew lol. Nine roosters still, that's still after putting down dozens of chicks that were clearly roosters at six weeks, after giving away roosters to my neighbour who likes to free range them, after countless auctions where I sent boxes and boxes and boxes of young roosters, after butchering three different groups of roosters, after selling some roosters to people who want breeders and also some I put down because they seemed "off" or were not growing properly or kicked the bucket on their own. That's beyond annoying, imagine if I had that many hen chicks. I did have some pullets to sell but not near the rooster numbers.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: The roosters vs hens issue.

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:32 am

Aye, current research says its something about temperature (at egg lay or while in the incubator) and there's lots of money being thrown at this for chickens as well as other animals.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 am

After my experience of having my eggs hatched by Millpond hatchery where the split was 12 to 13
cockerels to pullets and 10 to 14 cockerels to pullets, it only reenforce my feeling that in small home incubators the stronger survive so the split tends to favor cockerels.
In my home hatches when the hatch rate was 95% it was still pretty even, lover the hatch rate larger cockerel ratio.
That's just my theory based on my personal experience. :)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 am
After my experience of having my eggs hatched by Millpond hatchery where the split was 12 to 13
cockerels to pullets and 10 to 14 cockerels to pullets, it only reenforce my feeling that in small home incubators the stronger survive so the split tends to favor cockerels.
In my home hatches when the hatch rate was 95% it was still pretty even, lover the hatch rate larger cockerel ratio.
That's just my theory based on my personal experience. :)

OC i have wondered that myself, take for example my Welsummer eggs, eleven chicks made it to the end but failed to hatch. I wonder how many of them were hen chicks. I also noticed when I hatched black sex-link chicks, the chicks with the white spot (males) were stronger than the black chicks (females) generally. Maybe nature did this since males are flashy and bigger targets in the wild.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:17 pm

I guess I was really "lucky" with what came out of my Welsummer disaster hatch this summer: two out of seven hatched out, both females. I actually expected them both to be males, given the way the whole misadventure had gone.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:33 pm

I lucked out with my only hatch with a Broody this year- 100% female....only one chick hatched and it’s a pullet!
Most of the eggs were a stinky mess so not sure how this one survived but she was the tough one!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 am

Brebis wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:33 pm
I lucked out with my only hatch with a Broody this year- 100% female....only one chick hatched and it’s a pullet!
Most of the eggs were a stinky mess so not sure how this one survived but she was the tough one!
Same here, one lonely female (but I need a male), I think it only proves that once the females are given a chance, they are the stronger sex. Just saying. ;)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm

I don't incubate, only broodies, and not exact every time, but pretty well 50-50. I still hate having to deal with the cockerels.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 pm

the trick to getting more girls is to desperately need a male to replace an ailing rooster.
then you will get girls and no boys, and be totally out of luck for the next year when your rooster is finally shooting blanks and you cannot find another rooster of the quality you want......
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Early incubator hatches this year most definitely favoured males. Only 1 in 4 are pullets from first hatch, and it was also my only hatch that went really well ;) . None of the hens went broody before July, so I can't compare the two sets of information, but as the season went on, successive incubator hatches moved towards a balance even though humidity was awful all season and I had countless drowned chicks. Last hatch (September) netted three boys, seven girls and one ?? so probably boy.
Once the hens started hatching, things followed a similar progression--large % boys at first and then swinging the other way. One hen is still (mostly) toting around twelve chicks, had a look at them last night, and only two are definitely male, and two maybes, leaving at least 66% pullets.
This tends to coincide with previous years, where March-June produced mostly males and August-November mostly females. I don't hatch in other months often enough to compare, and I'm not OCD, er, anal, er, curious enough to chart temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure etc. while banging out hundreds of cockerels to see if there's a link somewhere, anywhere. But I'd definitely like to know if my experience is unique, just wishful thinking/bad records keeping, or if anyone else has noted similar seasonal trends.

Also as a point of note, here, once grow-outs are out free-ranging, predators pick off pullets first. As a general rule, they are less observant and alert than cockerels. Boys watch for danger and girls watch for crickets...so if I were to undertake such a data collection experiment, I would have to be able to reliably sex chicks at hatch to get accurate numbers.

Return to “Around the Waterer”