Seeds..seeds..seeds

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Seeds..seeds..seeds

Post by TomK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

Hey folks...am almost done stripping my garden after an interesting summer...i grow a lot of veggies here, the intent being to give MJ and I some good wholesome organic food but also to give the same to my chickens (when it's ready, not when they want it) ...and i only grow heritage varieties of plants...I am into saving seeds for next seasons planting, and of course have wayyyyyyy more than is required.....the thought is to share and wondered if anyone else has had that thought...maybe we could start a seed sharing kinda thing...any interest?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Seeds..seeds..seeds

Post by Jaye » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 am

Hey Tom, here is a recent post about an organized annual seed exchange that may be of interest to you:
7th Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks Jaye...i think i saw this...wondered who in here participates...or if anyone has seeds that are a real favourite with them...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Nickyn
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Nickyn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Tom,

I run the swap, so if you have any questions, let me know.

I posted it for the 1st time on PTO last year. There was a lot of interest, but only 1 participant from PTO Another long time participant joined PTO this summer, so now there are 3 gardeners from this site. We are up to 58 people signed up. The swap is posted on my blog, Tomatoville, PTO & a few Facebook groups. There is a core of about 30 gardeners that always join in.

Let me know if you need more information :running-chicken:

And thanks @Jaye for linking the swap!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm

The swap is really good and Nicky does a fantastic job of handling it :) It's SO much fun to receive a big surprise package of seeds in the winter time!

We swap everything from veggies, to flowers and some of us are BIG into tomatoes and have gazillions of varieties, including all the latest "must haves" {LOL}.

This year I grew "Blush" which is an elongated yellow-and-red elongated cherry tomato. Sweet, fruity and delish. Another favourite is "Little Lucky" a saladette which starts off yellow and then turns pink. It has Brandywine as a parent and is very tasty. It's a little later than some varieties, but IMHO well worth waiting for. Indian Stripe is always a tasty black one.

Liberty Runner beans did well this year here, once the weather warmed up. Provider Bush beans always do well for me too.

What were the standout's this year for you?

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I did Nicky's seed swap last year, it was loads of fun, and we'll worth it, and as a bonus, you get a big old parcel of seeds just as winter starts to get dreary.

Return to “Around the Waterer”