New (old) way to control ticks

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

New (old) way to control ticks

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 am

"In the battle to win back parks and other natural areas now infested with disease-carrying ticks, some towns on Long Island (New York) are increasingly turning to an unlikely ally: the bobwhite quail."

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/anima ... ight-ticks
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: New (old) way to control ticks

Post by ross » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am

Possum works too & cats don't bother them . Speaking of cats another in the trap this AM .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:00 pm

I would love to see a Bobwhite Quail program on the same scale as the Wild Turkey program.

I saw a covey of Hungarian Partridge one winter 20 years ago..but never a Bobwhite Quail.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Very interesting. I just wonder how you can get the quail to stick around.

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Brian » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

release a few hundred into a nice area with lots of wild food, feed them until they are established. Pray for short, warm winters and you might get an established community. It would be nice to hear them in the wild. I found this on youtube

I wonder if it is legal to release bobwhite quail? Anyone know?

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 am

You can get it all here but all this fun comes at a price. Sure would be nice to hear them in the wild again.
https://gamebirdfarm.net/canada/products.php?cat=57

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 am

Hmmm..I wonder if that works for Hungarian Partridge? There's still a few coveys around here.
I let an adult pair of partridge go once. They hung around until the oats was harvested. I flushed them a few times that summer. They never did fly well.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 am

There's a dozen reasons why birds have declined. It used to be small fields with stone fences in between. One farmer had two field crops then a hay field. Everyone removed the stone fences and now its all big fields. When you cut hay the birds ran into the oats. Harvest the oats they ran in the hay. Now its one big field and you harvest and there's nowhere to hide. Cornfields had weeds, farmers would till through the crop at a certain at a certain height. Now its all roundup fields with no weeds.
Cedar rail fences would zig zag over rocky ground where you couldn't dig posts, that left lots of "edge" areas.
The planting of "bunch" grasses vs single stem grasses is also reported to have an impact on quail.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 am

Yes Baronrenfrew, the agricultural landscape is far different now. Around here it's now mostly cultivated crops of corn/wheat/soybeans and the fields are now massive and cultivated to the roads and fence rows. No more safe habitats for diverse wildlife...
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 am

One of the problems we found at the Game Conservancy was the lack of hedgerows in relation to partridge (Huns and Red legs). They hunker in the hedges to nest. If there are many hedgerows when a predator comes along he has several choices to make - straight, right or left. If there is only straight on he has a better chance of scooping a meal. Happily hedgerows are being reinstated in Europe, let's hope it doesn't take us 50 yrs to catch up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”