New (old) way to control ticks

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: New (old) way to control ticks

Post by ross » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm

I have possum , keep grass short & 20-30 banty mixed chickens free range in summer free run in barn over winter . Never had a tick in the 23 years we've lived here . Chickens tho not as good as Guinea do eat ticks ( found them in crop ) but seeing they scratch more than pick & also don't wander as mush as Guineas they aren't guite as lethal on um .I throw corn out at times at far edges of our 2 acres plus in the edge of the 400 acre bush behind us to keep chickens travelling . No app for this even Guineas arn't perfect & need replacement at time . All part of country/ farm living . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:12 pm

I may curse myself saying this but I've never had a tick on me. My lab has never had a tick. The beagle has had a few over the years but I don't think she got them from around here. Given the number of times I've wandered through a meadow or woodlot or wheat field or along the Nottawasaga river I'm surprised I can say that I've never been bitten (that I know of). So that leads me to ask if ticks like a certain type of soil or grasses. There's a lot of clay around me. My yard is clay and sand. All of the fields around me are tiled. Just curious.

Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by 41714049 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Unsure... I have sandy loam... all fields around me tilled, and my neighbour's dogs (only stay in their yard) had several ticks each last year.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Happy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:12 pm
I may curse myself saying this but I've never had a tick on me. My lab has never had a tick. The beagle has had a few over the years but I don't think she got them from around here. Given the number of times I've wandered through a meadow or woodlot or wheat field or along the Nottawasaga river I'm surprised I can say that I've never been bitten (that I know of). So that leads me to ask if ticks like a certain type of soil or grasses. There's a lot of clay around me. My yard is clay and sand. All of the fields around me are tiled. Just curious.
Wow! That's an interesting question! My property (this side of the creek) is clay and we've only had ticks on the dog when we go through the woods (62 acres pasture, 138 forest)
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm

41714049 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm
As bad as it sounds... I really hope someone finds a recessive gene somewhere in Guinea Fowl for mute birds LOL.
I am totally with you there!!!!!

We live on sand and have a clay section....the ticks are way worse in the early spring on the sand but disappear fast i think cause it dries out. The clay part then supplies us with ticks over the main sunmer and into the fall when the sand starts up again after the wet fall starts....we even found ticks in december this year. They dont like dry...dries em out....but cant say i have noticed any difference except timing between clay and sand. They really dont like short grass but here they will fall out of the trees onto your head. Great. Now i feel all itchy crawly.....!!! Oh and my chickens dont even see the ticks....i had one on my hand and presented it and it got looked at and left alone. Sigh. Found a tick walking on a turkey so i think theyre hopeless as tick control too. But show them a mouse or snake and get out of the way!!

Sorry bout the tick/lymes rant....but i am a genetics/molecular biologist .....sigh i cant help it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Happy you are quite a bit north of many of us and it might be that they haven’t got there yet! We used to live just south of you and I can’t remember having to worry about them either but here in Prince Edward County there are lots...we can also grow a lot of things on PEC I could never dream of growing up there!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Never be sorry bout the truth Kathy . But the truth does spoil a good conspiracy theory . Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Brebis wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm
Happy you are quite a bit north of many of us and it might be that they haven’t got there yet! We used to live just south of you and I can’t remember having to worry about them either but here in Prince Edward County there are lots...we can also grow a lot of things on PEC I could never dream of growing up there!
Well I know they're here because I know a local vet and she's seeing tons of them. Hubby lived in Bracebridge prior to moving here and they've got them there. Maybe I'm too bitter to bite lol.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am

Never had ticks here when we were kids and spent tons of time in the bush, dogs never had any either. I think with the changes in the insecticides the farmers are allowed to use that's the difference, the ticks are surviving now. We are on clay and a rich loam as well, conservation area behind us. Not loaded with ticks but both my husband and brother have had lyme disease. Tried guineas but they were quickly eaten so just keep grass cut and bushes trimmed, chickens freerange a bit around the house.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:18 am

WLlady, Al, Ross, and all others..please post your opinions and facts. all long as we can disagree and be civil then discourse is good. Often both sides can be right and the truth can be murky. Only when we question established "truths" can we advance and learn/discover new things.
Kathy, your rants are well informed and us blokes need to hear them, so no need to apologize. In fact I agree with you and yet you did not disprove my rant (in this case).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Around the Waterer”