New (old) way to control ticks

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: New (old) way to control ticks

Post by Brebis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 pm

I’m careful and I still got one, it’s hard to get kids to be as careful! I cringe each time I see my step son playing in the tall grass with flip flops and shorts! They think they’re invincible!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

thegawd wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am
lyme disease was biologically engineered into the tick on purpose....... yup thats how smart we are.

what about a controlled burn with say a propane tiger torch?
Al's right, as there is good evidence that Lyme disease in ticks was a "cold war" experiment in the USA (Plum Island New York is across the bay from Lyme, NY where the disease was first reported after an outbreak in 1975) that "escaped". Of course US gov't agencies (CIA, FBI, Military Intelligence, etc) all shoot it down.

https://sites.newpaltz.edu/ticktalk/soc ... a-dumitru/

"A controlled burn..." Again Al is floating an interesting idea as "small" forest fires were common enough that some tree species such as jack pine will only release seed from pine cones after a forest fire.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 am

So they created a tick carrying a bacteria? really? sorry......not buying it....nice theory, but man isn't THAT good....
Lymes disease is a borellia bacterial organism that is symbiotic with most ticks, problem is one type of the borellia bug doesn't play well with humans. and that's the one that gives lymes disease. the bug gets in and the body attacks the bug (just like it would if you had a staph or strep infection) only problem is, the body also attacks itself...in trying to get rid of the infection, and the infection will go deep and bacteria will settle into the joints and the heart...and then the body finds them there and tries to kill them and results in damage to the body...
and the newer one in the USA (and now southern canada) which imparts that meat sensitivity is because the tick has a protein in its saliva that is like a protein found in red meat, and your body sets up an immune reaction to its spit and then thinks your red meat is the tick spit.
nothing to do with genetic engineering. sorry guys....scientists are good, but they weren't that good in the 70s...we didn't even know we could insert genes into DNA in the 70s, let alone create an organism carrying a gene that could live in another host.....and to date it's not easy to engineer a bacterium that will successfully live inside a host vector without having some effect on the host vector....the ONLY one that we actually managed to create through the process of natural selection is clostridium difficile-and that was because of the widespread use of artificial sweetners that the bug can metabolize, so adding those sweetners to foods and then us eating them selected for a naturally occuring bacteria in our guts that outcompeted the other ones because it could metabolize a sweetner more effectively than glucose or galactose. and just so happens that the pathways it uses to metabolize the sweetner means it doesn't metabolize the antibiotics we throw at it, making it resistant. that one was not made in a lab....that one was manufactured right inside the gut of every human being that decides to eat processed foods with artificial sweetners. so don't give mankind the credit for lymes disease....we ain't that smart.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am

Sorry WLLady but I also heard years ago the same story Baron said, governments have been experimenting then and are still doing it now. When you hear some of the low stunts the governments have done I believe it, just because the general scientific world is not included means nothing.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:07 am

(:-)) I don't care if you believe it, the evidence is only circumstancial (not enough for a conviction) but the fact that the first multiple case outbreak and naming of the disease occurred across the bay from a gov't facility that was used by the US dept of Agriculture for animal disease testing (i.e. Spongiform encaphalopathy - mad cow) is too much of a "coincidence". This from a US gov't that said thalidomide was safe for pregnant women (leading to thousands of children with birth defects).

The world is flat.
Smoking does not cause cancer (most doctors prefer Camel cigarettes!)
Santa delivers gifts.
Roundup (glyphosate) is safe for humans (so what if it kills amphibians...who needs frogs anyway?)
Global warming isn't caused by humans (so what if we bulldozed every forest and burned everything we can find to burn (after we killed all the whales to burn their blubber for lamp oil) to keep our 7 billion butts warm or covered in plastic or to move us from A to B. Every glacier and every ice cap is shrinking? Every desert is expanding? Weather everywhere is all buggered up? That's just coincidence.)

I question everything that I'm told. And I am open minded. And bullship from above doesn't baffle my brain (or at least not for long).
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by 41714049 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm

LOL... I think we are getting off topic...

Does anyone know if ducks or chickens have some effect on tick populations if free ranging?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm

I got a truck load a tinfoil here if some of you folks interested .
Thanks Kathy :-)
But I do believe in Big Foot . I've seen him . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

41714049 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm
LOL... I think we are getting off topic...

Does anyone know if ducks or chickens have some effect on tick populations if free ranging?
:hijacked:
:focus:
Lol, you will find that here on this site, one minute you are asking for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe and the next people are debating whether chocolate chips contain chemicals inserted by government agencies to control the minds of people, but I love them all anyway :grouphug:

As far as I know, chickens and ducks don't do much of anything to reduce the number of ticks. The tick is so small that I think a chicken would walk past it as opposed to a guinea spending time looking for it. I have never seen chickens picking them off, they seem to go after larger prey like crickets, grasshoppers, moths large spiders etc.

Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by 41714049 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm

As bad as it sounds... I really hope someone finds a recessive gene somewhere in Guinea Fowl for mute birds LOL.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

41714049 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm
As bad as it sounds... I really hope someone finds a recessive gene somewhere in Guinea Fowl for mute birds LOL.
:rofl:

We all understand, especially the males!

Return to “Around the Waterer”