Ottawa Humane Society

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Ottawa Humane Society

Post by Happy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:53 pm

My mother adopted a cat from the OSPCA just a few months ago. She's 78 but she also makes donations to them yearly. She had hummed and hawed about getting another pet because she didn't want to leave one of us with a problem. I encouraged her to just go pick one out and stop worrying about what might happen. She went several times to look herself and then I took her in the day she was picking her new cat up to come home. I hadn't been in there for quite some time. I used to take my dad in there before he went in a home. He loved sitting with the cats and it gave him a sense of purpose to visit them. At that time there was ROWS of cages. I would guess at least 50 cats every time we went in. Much different now. There was 4 cats including my mother's. No dogs. One guinea pig.
Turns out her cat has some weird respiratory thing caused by filthy Kitty litter and has been on medication and eye drops since she got it. Oh well. She has the time and money to devote to it so no big deal.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:19 pm

We have fostered dogs for a couple of different "rescue" organizations over the years, but it has become more and more difficult to ignore some of the nonsense going on, and the last straw was an OHS refusing a Foster family permission to adopt the dog they were fostering. A New Rule!!!! You can't adopt a dog you fostered.
Apparently it would reduce the number of foster families if they were able to adopt a dog they fostered.
What makes them think that the couple who fell in love with their foster dog and were absolutely refused an opportunity to adopt it would ever consider fostering again, I don't know, just boggles the mind.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 pm

I think we all know that dogs are the best judge of people good or bad . Think maybe these folks should let them make the decision .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”