Ottawa Humane Society

General discussion forum.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Ottawa Humane Society

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 am

This has to do with chickens, I promise I'll get to that part in a minute. I used to support Humane Society. It was where I put my charity dollars. I quit several years ago when I saw them adopting PETA principles like "better dead than confined", but still had some respect for the organization for doing a difficult job, and would take in food, litter, etc. Then they started charging exorbitant fees for adoption, and to retrieve a pet that had been picked up at large. Then they started influencing policy on how animals could and could not be kept, for example, rabbits being kept in outdoor hutches is now a hot button issue. Then they started importing dogs from other areas and even other freaking countries, as 'rescues', but really for resale.
Then, a few minutes ago, I read this article on Urban chickens from OHS, that is so full of bullp00p I don't even know where to start.
http://www.ottawahumane.ca/troubles-in-the-hen-house/

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Ottawa Humane Society

Post by labradors » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 am

Having volunteered at several humane societies over the years, and been on the board of one of them, I do think that they have a point. It seems to me that J. Q. Public can be very mean and uncaring for cats and dogs, and I should think some might be even worse when it comes to chickens that can be left out of sight (out of mind). Then there's the whole thing about the store-bought coops that advertise holding more chickens in them than is humane. I wish something could be done about that!

Humane societies have a very difficult job to do as it is. I can't imagine chickens being added to the equation :(

Linda

PS I don't agree with importing dogs from other countries either - ugh!

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 am

There's nothing more cruel than a factory farm...which clearly is in the back pockets of policy makers and now the Humane Society. There's some kind of conspiracy happening when a handful of salmonella "outbreaks" get splashed all over the news/Facebook (aka fake news) and the dangers of backyard poultry suddenly becomes a headline. Give me a break. It always makes me shake my head when I read about the opponents to backyard chickens being concerned about having bylaws to prevent cruelty and ensure proper care. That is simply because they might have to actually "see" it. But it's fine when it's tucked away in a big closed facility miles away from you.

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 pm

FB_IMG_1506097039887.jpg

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm

The reality of salmonella is massive abbatoirs where dozens of people throw chunks of meat on an assembly line with the meat of a dozen different cows ending up in your small burger. One mistake means hundreds or thousands of pounds of burger contaminated. Safe food handling courses should be mandatory for restaurant employees. I get dismayed where I see folks putting on plastic gloves (talk about garbage) then making food, then handling money, then touching dirty surfaces and then food again.

I would agree to a license ( such as $15 per year) and a mandatory one time course for folks wanting poultry within city limits. I remember schooling one young lady sitting at a booth at a country fair: the booth belonging to the City of Ottawa, and she said chickens attract rats. I told her that birdseed at hardware stores and grocery stores (and restaurant garbage) does more for vermin and then she had to reluctantly agree that I was right.

Not to mention that the definition of "city" now includes massive areas of rural land.

The mandatory course should include the processing of a chicken: so the romantic notion of "backyard chickens" gets driven out of those who are not serious.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I agree with windwalkingwolf, the problem with PETA is they have their own agenda and they don't care how they get there including spreading false propaganda . If they had their way people would be allowed to have no pets.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 pm

I think the answer is definitely NOT influencing city councils and John Q. Public by way of the spread of misinformation and downright bull. I will not hold truck with anybody, nor any organization that thinks lies are a good means to their end agenda.
I think the answer is informed, fact-based education, including the cold hard answer to extra roosters/sick birds. There are already a dozen 'rooster rescue' places in Ontario. I think maybe humane society employees should turn surrendered birds into cat and dog food, taking care of two problems at once.

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:06 am

Follow the money...commercial meat and egg farms are big business, and so, now, are rescue organizations like HS and OSPCA, and the thousands of private rescues that have sprung up. Both have the power to influence policy and law. The only answer, really, is for a butt-tonne (yep that's my official unit of measurement lol) to stop throwing money at both. Less KFC and grocery store eggs means more money you can put towards neutering your pets--even your chickens if you want to! Just say no to the BK tenders! Down with egg McMuffins!
And, if I seem a little bitter about the HS, it's probably residuals because I looked for a good dog for months, and any rescue organizations that had any that might be a good fit, denied my application because I live on a farm. I had to drive 4 hours away to a private owner who'd had an oopsie litter. Because despite what HS tells you, puppy Mills are not on every corner, and rescues are NOT bursting at the seams with sad-eyed neglected dogs that will be happy again if you only cut a cheque every month.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 am

We had looked for a new, older cat in several humane societies recently. One we found a nice chap about 3 years old who rushed over at once for cuddles, nice chap. The volunteer then proceeded to tell us how he wouldn't be like this once we got him home and we should consider a couple of other cats which clearly had problems (one a diabetic on special food). We left without the chap as we weren't really "suitable".
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 am

Our London humane society girl . Just perfect . Staff very good .
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”