Ottawa Humane Society

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Ottawa Humane Society

Post by labradors » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:52 am

That's too bad about people's bad experiences with HS's. You'd think they would have jumped at the opportunity to re-home a dog to a FARM. Pure Heaven I should think for any dog! KB, you probably look like people with soft hearts, so they figured they could palm off a "difficult" cat on you :(

I should add that my experience has been with kill shelters in the US, where things were pretty desperate.

Looks as if you were found by a wonderful dog Ross :)

Linda

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am

We were also denied a rescue dog because we live on a farm.
The last cat is a rescue, but same thing there, they don't send them to farms. Exception was only possible with the good word from the foster family for the cat.

I honestly don't get it.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:32 am

I haven't looked at Regina Humane Society rules lately but they also wouldn't adopt dogs to people on farms. Now they give neutered feral cats to farmers for free. Interesting program on The Fifth Estate last night about pit bulls. It also discusses rescue groups a bit. I don't think Canada should allow rescue groups to bring in dogs from out of the country. We have more than enough homeless and unwanted animals that need help here.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:44 am

Boy Ross She's gorgeous!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:47 am

They both lucked out there!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 am

On a farm too with critters & they knew it . She was listed as dog aggressive which makes her great on yotes ( didn't tell them ) but figured we could handle that . I think the HSs are all slightly different you just have to do your due diligence & find one that fits .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Years ago I had 2 dogs show up at my house with no collars. Beautiful Pure bred Golden's from what I could tell. They had been to a few neighbors first and after asking around nobody knew where they may have come from. So I called HS. I said that if they didn't find the owners I would be interested in adopting. Apparently that set off alarm bells and I was "asked" (I would use the word accused) what I had done with their collars. They hadn't been wearing collars. They just continued to "ask" and I explained that if I had been interested in stealing those dogs I wouldn't have involved them at all! I couldn't believe the nerve of accusing someone just trying to help the animals. When I called back the next week they had already been adopted.

Second experience was trying to turn in a clearly sick cat that showed up at my house. He was super tame and friendly so I loaded him up and drove to HS. I was promptly told that they don't just accept drop offs. They would take my name and number and details Of the animal and call me in a few days. Nobody gave me that courtesy before dumping an animal at my door! I explained it was sick and I had cats and I didn't want it near them. They suggested I keep it in the garage. I ended up taking it straight to the vet, it tested positive for FIV which is like feline aids and contagious. I paid for testing and euthanasia myself. Since then I have rehomed any animal myself that shows up at my door.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:27 pm

OMG! You can get some real gestapo types at Humane Societies!!! Then again, it can be difficult to tell who is honest and who is dumping :( I have a friend who lives in a rural area who often gets cats dumped on her in the fall by people who have kept them for the summer and got fed up with them :(

As for cats, we live next to a farm where they had two litters of kittens last year. The females were not spayed and apparently, they didn't think that the one old old guy still had it in him =:o

Linda

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 pm

It's too bad really there are some great people running HS and some complete nuts. We had a gentleman in Stratford denied adopting a cat because he was in his 70's and might die before the cat. How absurd.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:45 pm

A lot of the city HS are staffed by radicals that have an agenda, almost like a religious dogma (no pun intended) but some of the outer ones have people with the best interest of animals at heart. Remember that some HS places were investigated and charged by the SPCA so that should tell you something.

I also know of excellent homes that were denied a pet. Also regarding the many dog rescue groups, I began to smell a rat when I was helping my sister look for a suitable dog. All the local groups had "just found homes" for the dogs in their care, after many weeks of searching they never seemed to have dogs but they always had a fund raiser going, donate $, donate $, donate$$$$$$.

As for chicken overpopulation, many of us would pick them up and take them to an auction, such garbage. They can put an ad on kijiji for free chickens and they will be gone in minutes, I tried many times to get free layers but people beat me to it every time.

Return to “Around the Waterer”