2018 plans?

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

2018 plans?

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

So for 2018: i'll put most of my todo list for 2017 on that list.

I now have some decent RIR bantams, some ringneck pheasants, and cream legbar bielefelder crosses: so i'll breed all of those plus my roman geese.

I've had one setback after another with buckeyes. I'm gonna call Ideal and see for next year (now it shows a waitlist).

Hey Jim!, what have you now and what's in the cards for next year?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: 2018 plans?

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Much the same as last year.
I will use Millpond hatchery again instead of hatching myself.
I am cutting back the number of turkeys, 21 was far too many with the crap going down last/this year. (insert laughter here)
I will hand raise a few turkeys because I like to.
The other hatching will be left to any broody girls who did an outstanding job. Congrats to my turkey Mums and Sister and SG2
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

domineckernc
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by domineckernc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Building coops and conditioning pens. I've multiplied up now to where I have enough good birds to start three lines.

1. Type and head points. 2. Type and tails. 3. Type and color/pattern.

That will keep me busy for years to come.

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Brian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

NARRAGANSETT TURKEYS - Just purchased a breeding flock of 10 hens and 2 toms. I plan on hatching out 300 or so turkeys next year. I have 4 properties to put them under. I want to grow out 150 - 200. Work on making them produce better.
BUFF ORPINGTON - Continue with my show line. Trying to make them bigger.
NAKED NECK - working on something different. I will continue doing what I am doing with them.
PEA FOWL - Hopefully they will breed by next year. Would love to hatch out a few.
CALL DUCKS - I want some.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 am

Oh man you are thinking too quickly. I have not even thought about 2018 yet though I did just contact a breeder out West about getting so chicks shipped next spring. I will add some thoughts soon.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 am

My plans for 2018 started in the fall of 2016... one can never look to far a head.. with that .. I am currently looking towards 2019 ... . the only unknown factors are what successes and failures were produced this year... but much to my delight ....Progress was made in most all my birds ...so I will be carrying on with my plans in the breeding pen. My only changes is reducing the breeds I keep by one and the varieties of another breed by one. Also moving several unneeded birds that will not be shown or used in the breeding plan. In short less will be more and more efficient . My plans changed little from year to year in numbers... I like as close to 100 of each..( some do not cooperate in this goal mind you ) this give selection and amplifies success and failure.. Its hard to make progress raising 10 birds or under . I am a big believer in selection so you are not putting up with something just because of who they are in the breeding plan but what they are.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 am

i'm with modern17! i'm happily finished with breeding for 2017, 2018 will be more of the same-selecting my best birds and concentrating on my rhodebars and welbars and silver welbars mostly with a goal of having the finally established lines by the end of 2019. I am going to start additional founder lines of these hopefully to established line by 2021, and probably end my breeding plans for my marans at the end of this weekend. once i establish the new founder boys for rhodebars and welbars again i will be moving mostly in to them for 2019 and beyond. the rest of the lines will supply my layers and fertilize my grass :-)
i'm going to raise only a few guineas to eat bugs and then carry a few birds forward for eggs for keets next year. OR i will leach some eggs from friends (you know who you are) next spring
Turkeys are royal palms, red palms and red slates.
so more of the same......
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KyleS
On the Roost

Post by KyleS » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am

Going to have millpond do all my hatching as well like @Killerbunny said just much less stress. Goal is to hatch 40-50 new hampshire bantams as I am limited on space until I build more grow out pens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm going to " LIVE LOVE LAUGH AND BE HAPPY "
Wish you all the same . Bday present from kids
Also raise some mutt go where they want to birds for table fare .
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Well plans for 2018..... let's see...

I am currently overwintering and plan to breed in 2018:

CHICKENS:

Ayam cemani - I have birds from 3 different bloodlines and hopefully adding a rooster from a 4th line in the spring

Black Copper Marans - Crossing birds from 3 different breeders for genetic diversity and hopefully nice dark eggs

Cream Legbar - I have a small group of these, raccoons killed some of my 2017 grow outs so need to increase my flock in 2018

Cuckoo Malines - Recently put together a small breeding group from 2 different lines, looking to increase my flock in 2018 selecting for nice white legs, high contrast pattern between males and females and large bird size.

Araucanas - clean faced, rumpless - Need to add more individuals to my small group for 2018, especially blacks and blues

Partridge Chantecler - Would like to add this breed to my flock in 2018.

TURKEYS:
I have big plans for turkeys in 2018 and hope to have a good breeding season. Hoping to breed the following varieties:

Beltsville Small White - Raising up new breeder stock from both lines of BSW turkeys, so plan to keep the 2 lines separate when breeding.

Sweetgrass / Tricolours - I have a trio of tricolours I will be breeding to see what I get.

Blacks / Slates - I have a small group of Blue slates and Blacks I will be breeding to produce... blacks, blue slates and self blues

Chocolates - Besides my Beltsvilles my main turkey project... I have 4 chocolate Jennies and a "dark chocolate" jake that are chocolate project birds, that might not produce 100% chocolate offspring I am working with. Plus I am picking up a near perfect chocolate pair soon that I will breed to hopefully give me some pure chocolate offspring. I will also put a black hen with the chocolate tom to produce black/chocolate sex-linked turkeys.

OTHER BIRDS:
Guinea Fowl - I have a small group of white and lavender guineas I will let breed come spring.

Coturnix Quail - Currently have a small breeding group, looking to greatly increase my numbers in 2018.

Black East Indie Ducks - I have a trio, need more.

I am sure I will have a few bird suprizes added to my plans in 2018.

Also want to get some meat rabbit breeding stock and plant some fruit trees.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”