Answers: 2

Re: 2018 plans?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm

JimW wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 pm
Well plans for 2018..... let's see...

I am currently overwintering and plan to breed in 2018:

CHICKENS:

Ayam cemani - I have birds from 3 different bloodlines and hopefully adding a rooster from a 4th line in the spring

Black Copper Marans - Crossing birds from 3 different breeders for genetic diversity and hopefully nice dark eggs

Cream Legbar - I have a small group of these, raccoons killed some of my 2017 grow outs so need to increase my flock in 2018

Cuckoo Malines - Recently put together a small breeding group from 2 different lines, looking to increase my flock in 2018 selecting for nice white legs, high contrast pattern between males and females and large bird size.

Araucanas - clean faced, rumpless - Need to add more individuals to my small group for 2018, especially blacks and blues

Partridge Chantecler - Would like to add this breed to my flock in 2018.

TURKEYS:
I have big plans for turkeys in 2018 and hope to have a good breeding season. Hoping to breed the following varieties:

Beltsville Small White - Raising up new breeder stock from both lines of BSW turkeys, so plan to keep the 2 lines separate when breeding.

Sweetgrass / Tricolours - I have a trio of tricolours I will be breeding to see what I get.

Blacks / Slates - I have a small group of Blue slates and Blacks I will be breeding to produce... blacks, blue slates and self blues

Chocolates - Besides my Beltsvilles my main turkey project... I have 4 chocolate Jennies and a "dark chocolate" jake that are chocolate project birds, that might not produce 100% chocolate offspring I am working with. Plus I am picking up a near perfect chocolate pair soon that I will breed to hopefully give me some pure chocolate offspring. I will also put a black hen with the chocolate tom to produce black/chocolate sex-linked turkeys.

OTHER BIRDS:
Guinea Fowl - I have a small group of white and lavender guineas I will let breed come spring.

Coturnix Quail - Currently have a small breeding group, looking to greatly increase my numbers in 2018.

Black East Indie Ducks - I have a trio, need more.

I am sure I will have a few bird suprizes added to my plans in 2018.

Also want to get some meat rabbit breeding stock and plant some fruit trees.

JimW
Jim this may be a bit personal, but how many hours does your day have?

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Haha OC,

Not enough hours.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am

I'm in awe of Jim!!! Lol

My plan is to completely over take the egg industry with my super duper easter egger bantams and replace the leghorn breed! Maybe that's too big of a bite to start. I will probably just hatch a few of these guys because people are impressed by all the colours. I was going to breed back some of the blue Ameraucana "type" bantams but I am having trouble with them not being that hardy compared to the ee's so looks like I will butcher all those boys today.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm cutting down on the number of breeds I have, focusing a little more on the silkies. I love their sweet temperment although they are a little more fragile , sometimes stupid, chicks you really have to pay attention to the first month to ensure they are eating and drinking.
I envy you all,some of you know exactly what you plan to do. My plans change like the wind.

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Same here @HennyPenny , I'm not sure what my next year will hold. But I do have some general ideas, bird wise I'll be adding new breeds in the spring, and maybe a new coop. Might try a meat flock, or hatch out my own if I have broodies. As for everything else, there's a very long list. Probably work on the pond some more (I suppose there's the possibility of ducks next year too), new garden, fruit trees in the fall for sure. And various other farm and building/restoration projects.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Umm plans for 2018.......... :rubbingchin:

Hatch less, had the incubators running this year constantly from Feb-May

Like to hatch a decent batch of my EO's, some of my girls are getting up there in age (6)

Cream Brabanters, need to find some hatching eggs from another source for diversity.

Work on my Creole/Candy Corn Polish.

I have two new Araucana Roosters from 2017 hatch that I have high hopes for next year's offspring.

Downsizing a bit on the veggie garden as well, hard to keep up with picking and freezing when things start to ripen......like beans!! LOL

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 am

Good morning to everyone...loved the warm spike yesterday...took serious advantage of it ...thought I might as well jump in to this thread just for the heck of it..i cannot even conceive of undertaking anything as ambitious as Jim's plans, like holy moly....i really really like my rocks..they are just production birds from Bonnies but the girls are sweet natured, healthy and very productive...I have to get some more but the local outlet closed business and everyone else close to me handles Freys...so my plan is to find a different bloodline quality rooster to breed to and hatch some...and my experience with the EEs makes me seriously want more..they are flat out fantastic...the boys are hilarious and calm as well as stunningly beautiful..the ones I have were the result of a EE over Blk Orpington breeding and OMG, if i could accomplish that again...other than that, I would like to get some Blk Copper Marans ...thats about it...if i expand too much i will be sharing quarters with the birds...lol
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

muffin
On the Roost

Post by muffin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 pm

still hoping to acquire a few Malines...Light Sussex...Delawares...Jersey Buff turkeys

Hatch out a load of EOs...coloured Muscovies

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:40 pm

muffin wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 pm
still hoping to acquire a few Malines...Light Sussex...Delawares...Jersey Buff turkeys

Hatch out a load of EOs...coloured Muscovies
I will hopefully have a few malines available in 2018. I know someone in Quebec that I believe has Jersey Buff turkeys. I will be at his place on Sunday I will look and see.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:24 am

well, my plans changed...orders for next spring's chicks just started rolling in.....so. looks like wheaten ameraucanas and light brown leghorns are going to be hatching....early.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”