Start where you are with what you have

General discussion forum.
domineckernc
Newly Hatched Chick

Start where you are with what you have

Post by domineckernc » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:59 am

Reprint of this Ralph Sturgeon book is available at the ABA website. I'm really enjoying this book. Very practical discussion of close breeding, inbreeding and line crossing. It's a different take than I've seen before or at least explains it in a different way.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Re: Start where you are with what you have

Post by muffin57 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Maybe you could give us a brief review. I would appreciate it if you possibly could, as I doubt that I will read the book. It sounds interesting and informative.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Lol, Hey dom, take a technical book and turn it into Coles Notes for those of us too lazy to read it. Or better yet, make a movie so I can watch it!

Forgive my smartass answer here, but there is no "easy way" to do it. At least its free on the website and you don't have to buy it.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 am

Sorry, not familiar with the work. Is it strictly on chicken breeding or does it include game birds as well?

domineckernc
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by domineckernc » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 am

Brief review...Ralph Sturgeon was a Plymouth Rock breeder, but the book is directed at poultry in general. In his preface he addresses the book to the average person who wishes to find "a practical approach to the art of breeding". At just 51 pages one can imagine that it is highly condensed knowledge. There are few wasted words. The introduction lays out his philosophy that being a breeder is about making the world a better place. There is a brief glossary and a page that posits the question of "Why breed?" The simple answer is that it is better to improve your stock than let it deteriorate.

The bulk of the rest of the book goes into detail about line breeding, line crossing and outcross. He explains the benefits and limits of each. He likens inbreeding and line breeding to boiling a pot of soup and skimming the impurities to clarify the broth. I think that for me this was a genuinely new way of looking at line breeding and closed flock breeding.

The last part of the book is a four year plan to boil the impurities from a new line. It is a simple outline showing how to establish your strongest traits and skim of those that are undesirable.

There are no shortcuts. I see it like someone explaining how to double dig a garden bed. The is a lot of work in the few words it takes to explain the process. Hope this review helps.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Excellent review, Thank you.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks. I will hunt a copy down.

modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by modern17 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I met Ralph back in the day in his home state of Ohio.. he was in his late 90s... A wealth of info and a character. He played basketball daily almost to the end , work with what you have, is how he lived.. When this book was reprinted a few years back , then President Matt Lhmon put alot of effort into this book to get it reprinted. I have read lots of literature on the subject.. Ralph had it figured out. Well worth the small fee for this book.Very informative .
TL

la-chicken
On the Roost

Post by la-chicken » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I have this book as well. Very valuable book.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

BobG
On the Roost

Post by BobG » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Great little book I think I paid a whopping $5 for it years ago,well worth a read
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

Return to “Around the Waterer”