Year of the frog

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Year of the frog

Post by Brebis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but we have been "swimming" in frogs this year. I work in a big garden several days a week and every time I walk here and there the frogs are leaping every direction. When I'm weeding, they're all around me and barely move when I get close to them. We have quite a few at our place too, including a tiny little peeper on the tomatoes a week ago.

After quite a few years of seeing them decline, it's nice to see them make a comeback. It has also meant that there don't seem to be as many mosquitoes in the garden either!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

JP*
On the Roost

Re: Year of the frog

Post by JP* » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm

We have plenty of spring peepers around the yard and toads. A few large Gray Treefrogs and a large Northern Leopard Frog. A Northern-Two lined Salamander too (took pics of it when I found it picking worms for fishing bait). First one I remember ever seeing.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 pm

This was the year of the mosquito here :(
I have a few frogs around but I don't think more than normal...no toads at all. Lots of snakes, very few wasps and spiders and ants everywhere!

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 pm

I will mention that for most of the spring and summer we were under a flood warning here and the property where the garden is has a creek that flows into the lake which this year was flooded to a level not seen before.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 am

We are getting the mosquitoes now that we didn't have earlier. Only a few frogs and toads and I have to be careful weeding so the girls don't see them and kill them!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 am

We were driving home from Ottawa one rainy night last week and there were frogs jumping all over the road on the stretch just after coming off the 416. Many were flattened by traffic that had gone before us. There was no way to miss a lot of them, though hubby tried to minimize the number that we had no choice but to hit. It has been many years since I have seen them in so many numbers. It was sad.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 am

Oh that is sad that they were all on the road Jaye :(

I too have noticed a ton of frogs in the garden. We have a large pond and we expect to see them there, but every time I walk down to see the chickens I have to be careful not to step on frogs (and grass snakes too). One of my dogs gets easily spooked by them and jumps in the air. She's been doing a lot of jumping lately :)

I used to have a big toad that lived in the front garden. She loved to hang out by the solar lights to dine on the insects that were attracted to them, and we would always see her at night, but now she has gone and there is a medium-sized one that visits occasionally. Nobody seems to like the toad abode that we bought for them :(

Linda

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 am

That's funny - I can see how jumping frogs would spook a dog when there's little or no light. If there's any kind of breeze when we take our nightly walks, our dog gets startled by rustling bushes on the side of the road - or pretty much any noise or movement. :-)
Like you, I bought a toad abode a number of years back, and have never seen a toad in it either. We do have them in the yard, because I come across them sometimes at dusk, but have no idea where they live.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 am

toads and frogs everywhere this year! and our GSP cannot help it, he has to chase them and pick them up and then walks around foaming at the mouth for an hour.....and he does NOT learn....every night....every single night.....
we have a gartner snake living behind the steps to the house, it comes and lays on the patio stone right outside the front door....have to look before we step. thankfully the dog hasn't found it yet.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am

Good year all over Ont for wildlife . Lots a double triple litters in case of bunnies all over . Which means more food more predators . Win/ loose situation . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”