Coriander

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Coriander

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 am

Has anyone fed coriander (the seeds) to their chickens? I pulled a huge dandelion from the veggie garden yesterday and offered it to the chickens, and one began pecking at a little sprig of coriander that was attached.

When I looked it up, it was on one "poisonous" list, yet two websites claim it's great for their health! Since I have an over-abundance of seeds, I'd love to add some to their food if it would be beneficial. I LOVE the stuff :)

Linda

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Coriander

Post by Jaye » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:22 am

I have never fed mine coriander seeds, but I have sometimes thrown bunches of cilantro/coriander that have passed their best before date into the veggie scraps area of their run. They like it. I think the key is moderation. Don't know about seeds. If it were me, I would try sprouting them and feeding them that. During the winter I sometimes sprout fenugreek and mung beans for mine so that they get some fresh greens.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Coriander

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks Jaye. Sprouted seeds would be full of nutrients. I've just tried fermenting their feed ;)

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”