Pellet gun question.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Pellet gun question.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:51 am

I have a pellet gun question, I think it was Ross who told me what power I could get up to before going through the tin of my barn roof. A bunch of pigeons have picked their roosting and nesting spot right above my barn doors. So they drop poo and feathers right at the spot where I and the chickens walk in and out. Worst is the Welsummers favorite snack is feathers! Pigeons can't get in to the loft so they flattened down the chicken wire enough to stand on and now make nests.

So I am wondering how powerful of an air gun can I get without putting a hole in the tin roof? Where is the best place to get one and can you get a good sight on them as my eyes are not that strong anymore.

Thanks.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Pellet gun question.

Post by ross » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Up to 500 fps you don't need a PAL license . TSC has a good range of different rifles / prices . At some point even the 490fps which is what I have will go thru thin tin . I find best when shooting in barns for farmers to try get birds with a beam/wood backdrop . Head shots are best , I shoot at 15-20 yds . Pic of gun I have with scope for tired eye sight . Google up TSC pellet guns & join there online email sales & sometimes good specials . Mine comes on sale regularly for $59.99 regular $119 . Has pistol crip which is great for my bent arthritic fingers . Luck
PS don't miss no holes in tin lol
Attachments
image.png
Last edited by ross on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Its also a question how thick is the tin as some will have different thicknesses. Also a squarehead target pellet (wadcutter) will not pierce the way round or pointed pellets will. You need a head or neck shot to drop them, a body shot won't unless you break their wing. I used to shoot darts in my pellet gun and that killed them on a body shot. I just searched and some companies sell "combo packs" with different types of pellets.

http://www.beeman.com/store/product.asp ... &pid=68322

image.jpg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:10 pm

I use the hollow points . Find they don't go thru & spread for quick kill . Breast meat is excellent in them too . Flying free range chickens . Luck

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Some say the caliber matters as well.

A 490fps in .177 may still pass through the target.

A .22 may have more knock down power at 490fps but not exit.

Saying that I use a .177 around 1000fps. Taking extra care to view the backdrop and possible ricochet. The target will come back, maybe not same day, but it will be back so there isn't any need to rush a careless shot.

TSC, Cabela's, Canadian Tire will all have them.

Ordering Online is a great option too.

Gatineau has a few hunting/shooting stores as well if you want a local brick and mortar.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Ok great, thanks gentlemen.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Welcome