Wimpy Dog

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Wimpy Dog

Post by Happy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I have a usually rough and tumble chocolate lab. He's a good boy and we would do anything for each other. 3 years ago he got fleas and we quickly found out that he was allergic. Hotspots everywhere, non-stop itching and licking and pacing and panting. Ended up at the vet for diagnosis and meds. He's been on edible flea and tick treats ever since. 2 years ago his face and neck swelled up and we suspected wasps (that he wouldn't leave alone). Called the vet/tried Benadryl and 2 days later ended up at the vet for an injection and take home meds in case of a repeat. Few days ago I noticed a swollen eye but the deer flies love his eyes so I put it down to that and tried to keep him inside. Day 2 I started him on the prescription they had given me "in case". Day 4 I realized his face was swollen called the vet to get an appt and started him on Benadryl in addition to prescription. This morning the vet gave him a steroid shot and a second injection of the same prescription med and kept for observation. She told me that they have seen more dogs for reactions like this than ever before and the reactions are more severe than they are used to! He's 75 pounds now and I guess I also wasn't dosing him high enough with the Benadryl. I'm stocked up on it now! (1 mg per pound for dogs) up to 3 times per day just FYI!

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Wimpy Dog

Post by labradors » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am

Benadryl is amazing stuff! My previous lab had a bad reaction to something. Swollen face, itching, acting scared and throwing up. Of course it was a Sunday night and we were in a very rural area far away from any vet, even if they had been open. We were lucky that she survived. I learned about Benadryl and always carried one in my pocket during our walks, but I took the precaution of buying epinephrine (which I kept in the fridge). One day when she disturbed a wasp nest and was obviously stung, I forced two Benadryl down her throat and rushed home to give her the shot. Didn't need to as the Benadryl had worked perfectly :)

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 am

Our "foundling" has an allergy to ragweed, every year like a clockwork August 15 it starts, was told he may grow out of it, this is year 10 so probably not .
Reminds me of a Beagle we fostered, he was one of the Catrina rescues from Louisiana.
was with us few days, I am looking at him saying what kind of funny face it this you are making...and slowly realizing its just swelling in front of my eyes, called a "dog" friend and he said you fed him duck didn't you, which I actually did, but was pretty sure that wasn't it, quick trip to the vet, yes an allergy, and the new environment just made it that much worse.
Wimps :)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:46 am

Cash has what I call his baby seal face. If anybody speaks to him with sympathy in their voice he turns on those big sad eyes then starts blinking like he's crying and hangs his head lol. It's all quite melodramatic. He did it to the vet when she said "oh no what's wrong with your eye?" So I quickly said "want a bone?" And he leaped up, perked ears and happy face. Not that he didn't need treatment but my gosh you'd think I abused him the way he carries on! It's embarrassing lol.

Return to “Around the Waterer”