Fire and fury on raccoons.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Fire and fury on raccoons.

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:44 pm

The raccoons have been getting my attention lately, they poop right at my door, they destroy the lawn, they started digging up flowers, one is too big to fit in the live trap. I'm starting to worry they might try to break into the barn, which they have done in the past, lucky there were no chickens at the time. Last night however was the final straw, they climbed up and managed to pull apart the blue bird house, there were a bunch of babies inside almost ready to fly. Now they are all gone :( little blue feathers all over the grass. That's the thing about raccoons, they get bolder and into everything unless you keep them in check.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Fire and fury on raccoons.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:55 pm

When I'm driving, if I see one on the road, I don't slow down.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Any predator gets bolder & bolder if not challenged & ends up " doing what comes natural " as the tree huggers call it , kill your critters . If you can't or not gonna do anything to make your pens predator proof than measures are needed . Bigger/more traps baited & set 24/7 , a good protector dog or what comes natural to animal keepers bang , bang if possible to protect your flock . Even one or two hound types in pens or on doghouses strategically placed to sound alarm . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 pm

PS watch out for rabies in coon population right now . MNRF air dropping rabie vaccine in Hamilton area & others in Ont
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:46 am

So many coons....and the youngsters are weaned and moms pregnant again and kicking the older babies out. They are everywhere. We saw the choppers dropping baits last week....rabies and distemper. And mange.
get some good traps and make friends with someone with a 22....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 am

Got a skunk in the live trap this morning, but it wasn't bothering me and I didn't want to have to deal with any smell so I decided to let it go...... however...... as it was walking away it let go and sprayed. Now the place just stinks, it also hit the trap and maybe even my boots, stupid little bleep bleep!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Sounds like that skunk was a little miffed about the cage and decided to blast you.

Return to “Around the Waterer”