Question Barred Rocks

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Re: Barred Rocks

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 am

If you just want laying hens and one day will be looking for chicks, Frey's is definitely a good choice. You can order all hen chicks, their birds are healthy and good layers, nice looking too from what I have seen, plus they deliver to many feed stores in the area so really convenient. The price is usually good as well. If you are looking for ready to lay, I don't think they sell ready to lay Barred Rocks but I am not %100 certain on that so you would have to contact them.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 am

Frey's does offer ready to lay barred rock pullets, but you have to order a minimum of six. They are available for purchase March through September. I don't know what their prices are, though.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

You have to order ready to lay ahead of time
I've had mine ordered since April for September pick up of ready to lay
Sometime they do have "extras" but may not be barred rocks

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 am

If you buy chicks you can request no beak trimming. Ready to lay i think are all beak trimmed from freys....at least thats how they used to be...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:02 am

My barred rock girls are from Frey's -purchased as day olds through my local feed store.
The ones I have left have been great layers and my 5 year olds still lay about every other day now (one was almost every day earlier this year!)
I did find a high # of them died with what appeared to be reproductive issues (started with 10 then order 5 more 3 years later so of 15 birds 3 were grabbed by coyote and the rest died between 1 and 4 years old)
They do have awesome personalities but are a tad bossy and they tell the rooster what to do!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:39 pm

This is all great information. Thanks everyone!
Please feel free to tell me more about your Barred Rock experiences as you think of them.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm

As Happy said they can have prolapse issues due to the large size of the egg they lay.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Yeah my freys barred rocks eventually 4 of the 6 prolapsed but they were egg laying machines for almost 2 years!!! They were very bossy compared to my other birds....but awesome foragers and very good in the winter.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”