Deflating accomplishment.

General discussion forum.
Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Deflating accomplishment.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Do you ever have that deflating feeling, like the air hissing out of a bicycle tire that's been punctured. Especially when you realize that your efforts over the last weeks were for nothing. Today I took a closer look at two hens that hatched a bunch of chicks for me. I had even put some extra eggs in the incubator to add to their broods. Everything had gone well, nobody died, nobody was sick. They each had a whole pen to themselves so I wasn't really sure how many each had. The trouble was with the first pen. I counted nine chicks, good job for a tiny hen. She jumped up on a bale of hay and as the chicks jumped up one by one also, I could clearly count roosters.

Hmmm, let's see, one rooster, two, three, four, five (uh oh) six, O_O, ssssseven, eight.... and and last, one little hen! Bicycle tire, hissssssss. There is no mistake, the little red combs are already sticking a centimeter up.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Deflating accomplishment.

Post by WLLady » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am

Yikes!! Lol. I had broody mom hatch five. ALL Boys. Told her she was fired.....lol
5 eggs. 5 boys.
More for the freezer here....
Pssffffffffftttttttttt lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:52 am

At least you will get a meal out of yours, these are bantams, lots of long legs and feathers but not much else lol.

At least pen number two was better, she has ten chicks, 5 girls for sure, four boys for certain and one that looks good to be a hen also. So not a total loss there. I feel sad for the single hen chick, she will be an outcast, even worse she is the only white hen in the barn, so no blending in. I'm going to take away the mothers today and combine the two groups, hopefully at only six weeks they will form their own flock and then I will start removing boys.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Talk to Ross about how delicious banties are deep fried!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:18 pm

10-4 on the banty deep fry in turkey fryer just like quail . Fatten up in fat pen & enjoy 4- 1/2 doz at a time or just use breast meat unless theys those no meat at all ones . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Oh I know how you feel. I hatched a whole bunch of EO's once. Got 23 boys, and 3 girls. One girl died about 2 weeks after they hatched. One had a funky leg... and kept her alone in a dog crate for 1.5 months... then ate her. Got ONE good girl.

With EO's... you can pretty much tell within days who are boys and girls. I tried to keep them long enough for roaster birds, but they FIGHT FIGHT BAD, and I got fed up and the whole works went to Hagersville, long before they were big enough for me to be bothered with butchering them.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

Hatched 16. 4 pullets one of which is a cull!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Yup been there done that, didn't think it was possible, couple years ago, 11 roosters one hen, needed hens for an outcross :(

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 pm

I hatched 11 EOs - 1 girl, 10 boys. I hatched 20 Ameraucanas - I'm sure that 10 are boys, don't know about the rest yet. :(

Return to “Around the Waterer”