Black Walnut

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Black Walnut

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 am

I planted 2 of these trees in my yard quite a few years ago. They were from seeds that came from the huge tree in my grandparents yard. As a kid I loved that tree and the sticky fruit that fell from it and the scent of the tree itself. As an adult I'm seeing it in a slightly different light lol.
These trees are just starting to produce fruit in the past couple years. I've read a lot of opinions from folks with LARGE trees that advise to cut it down while it's manageable and hasn't yet killed your lawn and everything else under it. I really hate the thought of cutting a good healthy tree down and they are quite beautiful and almost seem tropical when surrounded by maples, ash, cedar and pines. However...I am on a mission to make our home "easier" to maintain both financially and physically. And cleaning up stinky, sticky green nuts isn't appealing. Anyone have experience/thoughts?

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Re: Black Walnut

Post by LongCrow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm sure if you post an add on kijiji "Free Walnuts, U-Pick from lawn" there will be interested folk. Maybe someone you can get yearly.

A better option harvest them for yourself, much better eating than the bland California walnuts.
They are quite valuable and in growing areas they have drop off centers where they pay for them.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Depending on size of the tree, the wood is quite valuable, decision making time concerning mature trees is never easy.
If you live in one place long enough (not too many people do) you will eventually realize that landscaping isn't permanent and what was lovely 25 years ago may now be a complete nuisance, it has to work for you and then all the rest will click in to place ;)

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:34 pm

@LongCrow I appreciate your ingenuity! But I'm not a big enough fan of the bitter taste of walnuts to bother to process them and Im not sure I'm up for "Kijiji people" lol. The fruit needs to be removed prior to each lawn cutting session or those things become projectiles!
My biggest issue is what I have read about the trees toxins:

THE “DARK SIDE” OF BLACK WALNUTS
Unfortunately, the black walnut’s roots, which may extend 50 feet or more from the trunk, do exude a natural herbicide known as juglone that prevents many plants from growing within their reach.
Tomatoes, potatoes, apples, pears, berries, and some landscape plants such as rhododendrons, azaleas, and lilacs may be killed or stunted if grown in close proximity to black walnut roots.

Between well location, septic location, chicken coop and pen and a back corner included as "environmentally protected" land I'm limited as to where I can locate my garden and things like tomatoes and peppers are supposed to be quite problem to this toxin.

However the sentimentality of a tree descended from my grandparents farm gets me every time lol. Same reason I can't cut down the oak tree that's really planted too close to the house ( by my dad who's now gone). Sigh.
OC they aren't large trees. Maybe 15 years old but they are pretty slow growing. If I was a stranger viewing it I'm sure I would easily take the one out in front yard because it's just too crowded.

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:37 pm

No clue what I did to make that red. Sorry!

LongCrow
On the Roost

Post by LongCrow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Maybe remove 1 and leave the other for a few years or until it causes problems for your garden. I have a number growing and have not had any problems but they are not that close. There are a number of old farms that have a few in the yard and most people still appear to have a healthy garden. Just don't put your raked leaves in the garden or for compost.

Love the walnuts (not bitter like California can be if too old) and love the tree.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Perhaps you could remove the walnut and start a new one from one of the nuts, somewhere it doesn't matter (if you have such a place on the edge of your property). It will still be descended from your grandparents tree, but in a better place. Same goes for the oak, although that probably isn't so much of a problem.

I have a problem with an apple tree, and have to go out every day to retrieve all the windfalls before one of my dogs gorges on them (which makes her sick in the house). It's a real pain, but we do like the shade that it gives.....

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Could you move the tree? There's a tree moving company near me that moves big honking trees, I think up to 40 feet tall, wondering if that might be an option for you. Or, could you bonsai it? Dig around it to trim the roots...keep the tree to a manageable size.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Happy wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:37 pm
No clue what I did to make that red. Sorry!
Forum quirks. Stuff like quotes and mentions start and end with key words in square brackets.
When there is a typo, things go wonky.
All fixed now.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:17 pm

👍👍
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”