Sweet corn prices

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Sweet corn prices

Post by Brebis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 pm

goatgal35 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm
$1.97 a dozen for Ontario grown in the grocery store makes supporting the local farmstand at $6 to $8 a dozen pretty hard to do. Asparagrass is the same $2.99 from the farm vs. $1.99 in the store. I dont get the logic
The producers sell the product to the retailer at wholesale price, which is quite a bit lower than the retail price, and then the retailer sells it as a loss leader ( I.e. at a loss) to attract customers looking for fresh local produce into the store where they will buy other things at a profit. So, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't! One cheese maker I knew commented that the best thing they did was sell to Walmart and the worst thing they did was sell to Walmart...a sad statement our food system these days.

Hopefully the producer hasn't been coaxed into selling it to the retailer at a loss. It's how big retailers control the system by making local producers and processors compete with themselves and if they can't, too bad they'll just source it from afar where're it's cheaper to begin with.

Haven't checked prices here yet as our corn seems to be late around here but last year it was 50 cents a cob, $6 a dozen and most roadside stands add a cob or 2 to the dozen.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 am

Old joke for a kid.
What is a buccaneer? I high price to pay for corn. Pretty soon the answer will have to change to "What you have to pay for corn" instead.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 am

I think the stores use the corn as a loss leader to get you in and buy s**t you don't need.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”