Farm names?

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Farm names?

Post by KimChick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 am

We had been struggling with a name for a while and finally settled on one, being new at this. Then we realized we need to research more regarding farm-gate sales status for tax purposes, opposed to residential status (we have ~8.5 acres). Maybe by the Fall we'll start it. (sorry about the previous stuff I edited out.... I was annoyed with our Ontario government)
Last edited by KimChick on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:01 am

In our Twp they were trying to say that you need 10 acres - any zoning, we are rural - to have even backyard chickens as they think it constitutes a Livestock Operation!!!! Legally it wouldn't stand up but I don't want to start a fight so only a few get eggs from us.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:01 am
In our Twp they were trying to say that you need 10 acres - any zoning, we are rural - to have even backyard chickens as they think it constitutes a Livestock Operation!!!! Legally it wouldn't stand up but I don't want to start a fight so only a few get eggs from us.
Same here - a few get eggs from us. We have only 15 laying hens. However, we do have a very large veggie garden, and were hoping to be able to sell produce via farm gate sales. I do not think that will happen, but never say never. And right now, we trade services for haying our fields - whoever hays & bales gets about 1/2 the bales (call it a mixture of whatever is growing).

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Those type of rules definitely drawn up by anti-rural bureaucrats. Time for the progressive left to realize those policies are very damning to poverty level rural people. (a forgotten class in Canada's we include everyone agenda) and those willing to get back to the basics.
In Mapleton Twp. we only require 3.75 acres for a legal hobby farm.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Nice, long Crow.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone! We aren't starting a business by any means, just think it would be fun to have a name :) We have 15 laying now and 12 chicks that will lay sometime in august (6 roos, 6 hens). My son sells the eggs to cover costs of feed and to teach him a bit about business (he is 7). Mainly to friends and family and at work. I don't think I could cope with having a road-side stand. I don't want people knocking on my door since my real-life job is midwife and I often sleep during the day and on the stretch of highway we are on the honour system would not work.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

There are some around here who accept payment by the honour system. I'm a bit skeptical as to whether it would work for us. However, someone mentioned a locked box in which to put payment, and I'm thinking chain that and lock it to something immovable. Then there is the option of only being "Open" when a sign is out, like on a Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning.

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Yeah, I feel like the eggs would all disappear lol. Plus we are on a really busy country road on a hill, worried about the safety of people getting out.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 am

ChickenLittle wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 pm
Yeah, I feel like the eggs would all disappear lol. Plus we are on a really busy country road on a hill, worried about the safety of people getting out.
We are also on a busy county road, speed limit 80kmh, and on a hill, just around a corner when going SE.

ChickenLittle
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by ChickenLittle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:33 am

Yeah, 80 here too. Plus main road into the Rez so really busy and Rez gas station a few hundred meters away. Closest one to town so everyone goes there to buy smokes and gas. Already enough car accidents with high speed and hidden driveways. Don't want to be responsible for more.

Return to “Around the Waterer”