Question Looking for info on cleaning coops

General discussion forum.
Jonmarcus
Newly Hatched Chick

Looking for info on cleaning coops

Post by Jonmarcus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 am

Good morning

Just a general question...how often do people clean coops? Should it be a daily, weekly, monthly thing? Are there some things I should keep in mind about coops?

Thanks

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Looking for info on cleaning coops

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm

depends on what is IN your coop ;-P
if you do deep litter methods, commonly it's every 4-6 months. if you keep minimal shavings then more often. if they get wet, more often. if there are fewer birds, less often....i clean out my 8x12 (4 bags of shavings and they house my grow outs) every 6 weeks....my pens up in the barn with 4-5 birds each are good for about 8-10 weeks. My turkey pens (16x10 with 3 birds) are good for about 4 months.....it really depends.
boards or bins under the roosts will save you a lot of time cleaning, they'll catch the night time poops and are easily taken out and hosed off. also, raise your waterer out of your bedding so that there's less wet bedding....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jonmarcus
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jonmarcus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Hey WLLady

I am a fairly new poultry farmer. Someone told me that it was okay to use sand in the pens and that it was also good for their digestive systems. Do you do small regular cleaning daily? and then a full clean every 4-6 months?

Thanks

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 pm

You will get as many answers as there are poultry keepers I think.
We use drop bins under the roosts, so not much droppings in the actual bedding, deep straw bedding in the winter, muck out in the spring and replace with wood shavings for summer, fall start adding straw to build up the depth and so on and so on.
The bins get emptied when about 3/4 full otherwise they get too heavy, about ev very 3-4 month.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Yep oc is right on. Everyone is different. I do not use sand because i cannot keep it dry....and my pens get a total clean out every few months or when they are wet or if they have kicked all the shavings out or they get bad, or if theres spilled water or....i really dont have a set schedule, but if i am putting new birds in or a new set of chicks etc everything is cleaned out and disinfected before the new birds go in.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm
if i am putting new birds in or a new set of chicks etc everything is cleaned out and disinfected before the new birds go in.
:iagree:
yup that's an important one I skipped, clean down to rafters before new chicks or birds come in.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 am

Our layers have a coop with a floor that is a pull out tray, and laying boxes that are accessible from the outside and is removable. To clean, I remove the laying box, pull out the tray, use a hand rake and dust tray (that thing that comes with a hand sweeper brush). Every 3-4 days or so, or when I see big clumps or a build up, I clean. Some times when I have removed all of the shavings, I sprinkle diatomaceous earth first.
For me, it's a visual and olfactory thing.

Return to “Around the Waterer”