General discussion forum.
poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Donations

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:10 am

ross wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:11 pm
Pruning works for me too . Anything other than ads that don't cost me money is fine by me but if push comes to shove will donate . If donations appear on PTO I would prefer dollar value listed for examples but not donor names . These I take it would be yearly ? Luck
Pruning works for me, too! Actually, I expect we are going to end up there. The question to me is do we prune anything older than 2 or 3 or ?? years.
To find out what we will do, I decided to make the donations available 6 month before we have to make a decision. At the end of the year the proof is in the pudding so to speak if we get consistent and enough donations to keep the history longer or not. And the "or not" is a definite option.
I think we should make that decision based on fact rather than guess work.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:31 am
:iagree: with Ross about the donations/name. Is there anyway to have it completely anonymous and amount not shown, by default? Then if you want a name and amount showing up, you have to select the option in user cp. That way, nobody knows who gave $2 and who gave $200. Not sure how to explain myself, but a name and a dollar amount feels like a sponsorship or an ad. Which is fine, if we're sponsoring an award or advertising something, but I kind of feel like, just to keep this place as it is, a WONDERFUL, friendly, helpful,ad-free community, nobody needs pats on the back except the wonderful admins that picked the former board off the ground, and put it back together 10x better than before. If so-and-so wants to donate prize money for our next online show (for example), and not be anonymous, let that be a separate thing from server space $.
Thanks for the compliments on behalf of the admin team! Actually on behalf of everyone, because everyone is doing their part to make this a friendly place!

I hear you with the question about keeping it private. The settings as they are now as of this morning is as private as I can make it. They still rely on you changing the default "show donations" to NO in your own ucp. I can't do it for you. This is a good suggestion for the guy programming the extension though.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 am

On a side note Martin, how many hours do you spend maintaining the site? 5 per week?

And other admins?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Can you prune by usage? You could run Google Analytics to see what topics are viewed more than others, or not at all. Defining "low" would be the discussion. I think age of post is less relevant then hits or views.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Oh yeah, on the donation topic. If that was what it took to keep chugging, I support. Rather prefer a membership idea. Don't know if you want to be that formal. But a small membership fee may work, but perhaps more of a pain to administer.

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Epona wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 pm
Can you prune by usage? You could run Google Analytics to see what topics are viewed more than others, or not at all. Defining "low" would be the discussion. I think age of post is less relevant then hits or views.
In a way pruning will be by usage. Pruning is going to be entire topics that have not had a post in the last so many months. So topics that are active won't get pruned. Views alone won't make it though, they need posts.
This will preserve the "around the waterer" but get rid of others no one replies to anymore.

The duration is individually changeable for each forum. That means I can be more aggressive in the humour and photos, but less where it matters.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Donations are good by me, I will but will have to figure out how.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:26 pm

PRUNE PRUNE PRUNE.

OK, I will donate if everyone else is, but I am thinking that two or three year old pics, etc could go and no one would notice.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 pm

If anyone from this neck of the woods (SE Ontario) is headed to the annual picnic this summer, please let me know. I would be happy to send a cash donation for PTO along with you.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:46 pm

@baronrenfrew i am on the site probably 5 hours a week just reading for moderating, helping folks that lost user ids or passwords get in, resetting things, deleting duplicate posts or fussing with things like the photo contest or stuff. Some weeks its less some its more. Martin sometimes is 5 hours just on saturday morning-i would say on average with looking into updates etc probably closer to 10 or 12 hours a week.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”