Subway chicken only 50% meat?

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:43 pm

I know nobody on here actually eats in fast food restaurants, but still interesting
CBC Market Place tonight tested chickens in several fast food restaurants, and while most had mainly chicken in their chicken sandwiches, Subway grilled chicken was 50% chicken and the rest was a long list of ingredients, it was mostly soya.
Who knew?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Blech
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Subway is one of the few fast food joints I eat at. Rethinking that now...For the price you pay for a sandwich, and how little meat you get in it, you expect the meat to be, oh I don't know, MEAT?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST Subway is one of the few fast food joints I eat at. Rethinking that now...For the price you pay for a sandwich, and how little meat you get in it, you expect the meat to be, oh I don't know, MEAT?

Same here, I usually go there since they don't fry everything and you get fresh vegetables and can skip the cheese and mayonnaise. I feel gross and really deceived. Plus right... you would think their meat would be.... MEAT!!!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:10 am

When on the road I will eat subway no problem! Always a veggie sub, extra spinach and cucumber. That is truly disturbing. GACK

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:29 am

We have subway at work and its way cheaper than anything else so i will get a blt or something....but nkt anymore. If the chicken is soy i dont want to know what the bacon is....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 am

I like subway, but I've gone to tex-mex places more now (Mucho Burrito), as they cook all the meat in front of you and its beans, rice and veggies.

As for bacon: once you've got real bacon from a butcher shop, its hard to eat the "processed" stuff containing "artificial smoke"
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 am

Sadly this is how screwed up our food processing sector is as it spends more time trying find least cost solutions with cheap fillers than the real thing as they all race to the bottom!
It's good they got found out and the other chains know too as I expect they weren't far behind in doing this as well so with luck they'll all be a bit more honest about it. If you don't ask they won't tell you what's really in it!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:28 am

I think it was Subway that was shown to be using white buns with coloring in them instead of whole wheat (and calling the buns whole wheat). I think I saw this on Marketplace a few years ago. They may actually be using whole wheat buns now.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:31 pm

so if someone was allergic to soy and its not listed anywhere on the menu beside the chicken/soy sub, well they could have been in a tonne of trouble! we eat there sometimes because we can get a salad and when we say we're gluten free they seem to take it very seriously. however after our last weeks episode with pita pit and there gluten free wraps poisioning some of our celiac family members we wont be eating out anywhere from now on period. to much cross contamination. later on we checked the website and it said not recommended for people with celiac. we really should have checked there first.... sorry different subject.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Around the Waterer”