Like eggs, only better.

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Like eggs, only better.

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm

So we moved here six yrs ago. The neighbor seemed like a quiet sort, mowing his lawn all the time, Seven days a week. They had lived here in the country for 30 yrs.

So after we got chickens, and I had some extra eggs, I asked if he would like a dozen farm eggs. "How are they different?" he asked. I said darker yolks, stand up higher in the pan, and I liked them better than store eggs.

So I gave him a dozen. A week or so later, I asked how he liked them. "Well," he said, "well, they are kind of like eggs, .....only better."

Now, how could you say that any better I axe?

So now, my chickens run in my yard and his and I give him eggs, and we are good neighbors, not close friends, but good neighbors. They will do chores if we are away. We were out for a little while this winter. And his wife asked if she should get some at the store, and he said "No, we will just have to wait till there are real eggs again. Made a convert of him. And they had lived in the country 30 yrs, and did not know the difference from store eggs.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Like eggs, only better.

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Oh, and I forget, he had trouble at first breaking the shells.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Like eggs, only better.

Post by Happy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:00 pm

That's cute!
Any extra eggs I get go to my post master who is an Asian gentleman. He drives eggs down to Toronto for his kids every weekend because they are "stress free" eggs...Commercial eggs come from hens under stress and that stress is passed in the egg which then is passed to the person consuming it. That's his belief and I can't disagree.
He knows my chickens by name and asks about them every time I see him :)

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Like eggs, only better.

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Hmmmm...stress free eh? That's why you hang a side of beef a few weeks so it "softens". We've brought cattle to the slaughterhouse and you have to fight to get them off the truck. Its the smell of death.

Kobe beef (best beef in the world): $200 per pound; is fed a diet including beer. To butcher; give a lot of strong beer (it gets drunk). And a tap on the head.

I watched a tv show last week: about sharks and killer whales. Great whites hunt seals from an island 30 miles off shore California. Killer whales never go there. One day a pod of killer whales showed up. They killed a great white and ate the liver out of it (the liver is massive). They left the body to sink. A shark wasn't sighted again until the next season. All the tagged sharks were gone within 12 hours. They fear the smell of death.

You can flip a shark over and it goes into a coma. The smell of death (of its own species) is the only thing that wakes it up. Now they are working on a shark repellent based on that.

Oops :hijacked:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Like eggs, only better.

Post by Shnookie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:09 pm

:focus: :iagree: about the "real eggs". I had to buy eggs for the last couple of months, and I found them quite tasteless and runny, with fairly thin shells. When I have extra eggs my neighbor buys them. She has commented about how much flavor they have.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Like eggs, only better.

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm buying eggs now from the store, yuck is all I can say. There is more of that sulfur taste and the yolks often have a wrinkled look to them. My neighbour has pullets from me and they just started laying, I put a request in lol.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Like eggs, only better.

Post by TomK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:39 am

I guess i have been luckier than most...i figured my rock flock would moult around november so i got some chicks in june hoping that they might lay a few in startup when the rocks basically stopped for a while... I soooooo feared having to buy eggs at the store...everyone around me here has virtually dried up in egg supply..the rocks, of which there are twelve slowed down but always give me at least three eggs per day bless their ragged looking selves...the younguns started laying as i suspected albeit slowly so Ive actually had eggs to sell..not many mind you but the ones i get are gone gone gone in a blink...its been gloomy as all get out for weeks..wonder what will happen when the sun finally decides to hang around more than ten minutes...now, about those roosters..... :big chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Like eggs, only better.

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:32 am

Tom, I have been doing research and observing. Those roosters won't lay many eggs for you.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Like eggs, only better.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 pm

TomK wrote:QR_BBPOST wonder what will happen when the sun finally decides to hang around more than ten minutes..
Egg production will go way up and you'll be thrilled. You'll sell loads of eggs for a little while. Then all of a sudden one will go broody, then two, then six all at once! By the time hormones begin cooling down, molt will have started up again and you'll realize you should have bought a couple dozen more pullet chicks in March :D

kenya
Henny Penny

Like eggs, only better.

Post by kenya » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:QR_BBPOST Tom, I have been doing research and observing. Those roosters won't lay many eggs for you.
Ha! Ha! I noticed that too!!

Return to “Around the Waterer”