Sometimes you find willpower in odd places

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Ross' meme has it bang on...congrats on the 2 months..from this point on its not a chemical thing at all..your body is clear..its a mind game.. a habit..it will be there an incredibly long time..hell, it may never really go away, but if you truly want to be a non smoker, you will be... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank you all for the congrats. It feels very good. At some point over the past few weeks I have morphed from being a smoker that was quitting to a non-smoker. I think all of life's biggest hurdles are in our own minds so changing my own perception of myself feels like a huge step in the right direction. I never want to have to go through quitting hell again so that's reason enough to never start!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Congratulations! Yeah the problem is you are not just breaking one habit, your breaking the social habit where the smokers go outside together and have a social chat, the oral habit where something goes in your mouth, the behavioral habit where you have a coffee and a smoke, the right after a meal smoke , the bodys nicatine withdrawal etc. etc. The list just goes on, so keep it up, its not just one habit you are breaking.

Happy

Re: Sometimes you find willpower in odd places

Post by Happy » Mon May 22, 2017 11:34 am

Well 4 months smoke free today.To be honest it feels like old news lol. I have not had one puff since January 21st.
I would love to say I'm one of those people that never has a craving. That doesn't miss ANYTHING about smoking. That feels so different after 4 months smoke free that they can't remember why they did it for all those years. I'm not one of those people. I miss the satisfied feeling that it seems only the odd cigarette gave me. I can't honestly say anything tastes better...different yes. I suppose I feel better but I didn't feel bad in the first place. My complexion is better...I like not stinking...I like not being one of the very few people needing to go step outside every so often. Hubby and family are proud of me and quite surprised I stuck with it I think...and I do like to shock people by doing what they think I won't. I have resigned myself to the belief that there may always be a small piece of me that misses smoking. But the price to pay for that moment of satisfaction is far too great and that in itself keeps me smoke free.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Yay!!!!!! Congrats on 4 months!!!! Simply awesome.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Congrats
Attachments
image.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 22, 2017 4:41 pm

COngrats Happy!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon May 22, 2017 10:43 pm

WHOO HOOO Congrats!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 22, 2017 11:23 pm

I quit for three years when I decided to try for kids. I never stopped missing it, always caught myself breathing a little deeper when someone lit up around me. Second time I quit, it was for a month, and I used the patch. Didn't miss it like before, but my sense of smell became so intensified that I couldn't function--the van we were driving at the time, I could smell that a dirty man that smoked cigars drove it 3 years before us. Cleaners, even unscented ones, gave me a headache. air fresheners and even scented candles made me physically ill. If someone passed me who had been bleeding, or maybe scratched their butt recently, it was so strong in my nose that I couldn't hide my revulsion. I lit up again to dull those scents and I was paranoid to try again. Then we went on vacation to the east coast, and I decided to give it another go. fresh salt air, secluded beach, no smelly people. I made it 5 easy days cold turkey. No cravings, no withdrawal. The smell of mushrooms rotting in the forest, and boredom, sent me back. I will probably try again, when old age or a brain tumour starts to dull my sense of smell. I hate what cigarettes have done to my skin. I applaud you for sticking with it!!!!!

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 pm

windwalkingwolf - totally get the smells being over powering.
Next time try a small dab of Vicks Vapor rub under the nose....it really helps.
( or steak juice....mmmmm - LOL )
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Return to “Around the Waterer”