Sometimes you find willpower in odd places

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 am

So I quit smoking. Today is my first 100% smoke free day.
I never understood why I smoked because it goes against everything I practice in life. I try to live natural and simple and I'm often called mother nature by friends. So inhaling toxins every hour or so just didn't fit but I managed to do it for 30 years.
I'm on champex prescription and can honestly say I haven't wanted a cigarette in days....It's just taken me the past week to convince my brain that my body didn't need it anymore. Mornings were always my enjoyable time...Coffee and a smoke on the front deck regardless of weather. So this morning I cleaned the whole house before 8am trying to keep my mind off it. Then I went to sit in the coop. I was there a couple mins when I suddenly smelled the most amazing, intense smell. I inhaled deep for a few minutes and realized that my sense of smell had already increased by 100%! It was plain old coop smell...Chickens and scatch and shavings and dirt and a little poop...But God it smelled awesome!
That was the resolve I needed right then to get me through the day :)
I cannot wait to see what freshly mowed grass smells like through my new smoke free nose!!!

I don't know if there's any smokers on her but if so and you've even considered quitting I highly recommend champex.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am

Congratulations!!! I need to quite as well, always working on it but failing. my cousin did the champex and quite for a while, said it gave him terrifying nightmares and would wake up shaking and covered in a cold sweat. hes a paramedic and has a pretty stressful job at times, he quit for about 6 months and started again. I wish you all the best!!! CONGRATS! and never pick up another smoke again!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Happy!! Thats wonderful!! Keep it up and in 4 weeks you will notice your food like you noticed the coop this morning!!! And your laundry smells better...and wait until you smell smoke free hair!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:20 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST Congratulations!!! I need to quite as well, always working on it but failing. my cousin did the champex and quite for a while, said it gave him terrifying nightmares and would wake up shaking and covered in a cold sweat. hes a paramedic and has a pretty stressful job at times, he quit for about 6 months and started again. I wish you all the best!!! CONGRATS! and never pick up another smoke again!
Thank-you!
My sleep is really screwed up on this prescription. And my bladder lol. I usually sleep like a log until about 6am. Since I started it I'm up every single night anywhere between 2 and 4 to pee and then struggle to get back to sleep. And when I do sleep I dream about hatching chicks ALL NIGHT! Lol. I never remember my dreams so it must be from the prescription and if that's the worst it gets then I can handle it :)
I just might get some eggs to hatch to see if it will stop the dreams. It would be best for my sanity and a great distraction :)

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST Happy!! Thats wonderful!! Keep it up and in 4 weeks you will notice your food like you noticed the coop this morning!!! And your laundry smells better...and wait until you smell smoke free hair!!!
Thank-you :)
It's a whole new world opening up! Lol
Honestly I was turning into a sneaky smoker because it's really not socially acceptable anymore. But it's hard to hide when you stink lol. I'm shocked I feel as good as I do right now and I know I will have moments but one hour at a time.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Best of Luck!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Geter done happy
18 years ago I quit cold turkey as they say .
Arteries plugged needed stents . Never looked back . Took the money I saved on smokes & rewarded myself , bought a used bass boat . 2nd best thing I ever did in my life next to marrying my current wife . Lol Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Thank-you!
And congrats @ross
That's a tough thing to do...The only other time I've tried was cold turkey. I hope that's the nearest I ever come to a nervous breakdown lol
Great idea...Think I will start putting $10 a day away to save for another coop

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Great job Happy!!! Best wishes on your journey.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Yup reward your self it is a hard deal . Not just the nicotine withdrawal but also the habit of lighting one up . All the best
I was 50 at the time . The mind substitute is the hardest .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”