Random question for any geneticists

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:06 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST I don't know about the one for people, like 23andme, but the one for dogs like dnamydog, are hit or miss. I wouldn't trust a piece of automatic software to give accurate results, I'd want experienced eyes on it as well, ones that could catch possible errors and double check.
Agree if it was for anything other than to satisfy curiosity. I was wondering how your DNA can tell what part of the world your ancestors came from. @WLLady's explanation makes me want to do it! Its not life changing because I'm me no matter what my ancestors did lol.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:03 pm

really cool! I'm curious as well. my grandfather was working on the family tree before he passed away many years ago. I need to figure out where it is and take a look. he started doing it because of some missing heritage way way back. he suspected Native American, I hope thats true cuz it would explain a lot about why most of us on this side are huge into nature. My otherside and last name is German and I dont know if there is a family tree or not. either way I dont really know a whole lot about my ancestry except both sides have been in Canada for 100 years or more. you've really got me thinking and wondering about my ancestry now. but I am a true good ole Canadian Mutt! that much I know. ;-)

:beer2:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:41 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST and thats why I was wondering how much it costs cuz just to do a paternity test was $900. great post Kathy!
IMHO that is a question of when it was done. Just like smartphones in 2008. We still had flip phones then....
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 pm

oh ya, i didnt even have a flip phone yet ten years ago, I had one of those really cheap motorolas, looked just like this :cell: LOL. tough little things though. it was ten years ago when we had that done, I bet the price has come down quite a bit since then. I was so happy to get the papers first and for them to say I was her dad. I left work to go see her since she wouldnt let me for the previous 6 months.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

poultry_admin
Site Admin

Post by poultry_admin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:19 pm

Top 3 hits on google cost you $200 now.
I m glad I didn't need to do one with my daughter. Sorry you had to go through that. Sucks to have to prove when you know already.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

pipes
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by pipes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:37 am

I've thought of getting the test done, as I have no idea who my father is. Not even a first name. Maybe, or probably, I have 1/2 siblings. Last time I looked at it, it was $200 CAD. Not sure if HST was included. Probably not.
I'm not saying get rid of the stupid people, I'm saying do away with the warning labels and let the problem work its self out.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Random question for any geneticists

Post by Happy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:25 pm

I dug this up because it has come up again recently for me. I dragged my feet and always found something else to do with my $130 bucks so my brother got tired of waiting and did the test through ancestry.com. I figure unless there's a very big secret I can probably just go by his lol.

No big shockers except that we are 19% Scandinavian and had no clue lol. I imagine it's mingled in with our known German ancestors since that's where all the blonde hair comes from! The "snippets" WLLady explained before in this thread confirm that our ancestors came from the north-west region of Germany and from the north of Ireland specifically so that's kind of interesting. I know nothing about Germany so have been reading up a bit about the region and probably would not have been inspired to do so without this knowledge. I'm glad my brother did the test except now he thinks he's a viking. Uggh Little brother's remain little brothers regardless of age lol

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm

I have always been a little suspicious of these tests, have you heard about the identical triples who took the test and all got different results? I think the basic race mix was almost the same but the percentages were different.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 pm

pipes wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:37 am
I've thought of getting the test done, as I have no idea who my father is. Not even a first name. Maybe, or probably, I have 1/2 siblings. Last time I looked at it, it was $200 CAD. Not sure if HST was included. Probably not.
I waited until Ancestry had a special (Googled to find they go on sale a few times a year)
Ancestry was offering the DNA test for $99 SALE price.
Bought it on Amazon for $79 TOTAL (tx included) & was shipped to me from Ancestry!
Postage was free to get it, & the DNA sample was in a prepaid box to Dublin.

I registered the DNA code right away, & within an hour I had mailed it to Dublin
PS - I read stories of how difficult it was for folks to get the vial of saliva
Pfffft I hadn't eaten for hours, so the smell of a hot lunch kept me salvatating
I filled that vial within 10 minutes, it's the Longest wait. Won't know until May :doh:
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 pm

WhooHooo, just got word from Ancestry...I can expect my results in 2 to 4 WEEKS!!!!
OMGAWD I'm So freakin' excited. Will be on Google for the next few nites.
Have to read up on tips how to analyze the results.
WHooHooo ~ did I mention I'm floating on air?
( gotta come down to eath, I realize the folks I want to find might not have submitted a DNA test )
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Return to “Around the Waterer”