Dealing with stress

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Dealing with stress

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:34 am

The quote below is from the thread about the guy from Hamilton that sells "mute ameraucanas" and other birds and it has become clear that he has mental illness. kellerbunny added that she's concerned as how to how easy it can be to develop some mental health problems i.e. A nervous breakdown; or in me road rage; ptsd; or a number of other issues that can develop in people.

I had a conversation with a friend years ago; she had issues and went to therapy and was able to get herself on track. And I said I was happy for that she was able to get on track. i told her that if you have a toothache...you go to a dentist and deal with it. You twist your ankle and you go to a doc and (physio) therapy and deal with it. You have nightmares you go to a therapist and deal with it. There should be no more "stigma" to see one doc than the other.

"A couple of years ago cops in Virginia pulled over a New York City transit bus. They asked him where he was going... "Miami. Ask the other bus drivers...they'll understand."

Carla was in Thetford Mines QC (near Sherbrooke) and I worked in Ottawa. So i'd be in Ottawa a week and a week with her and back n forth. One day near Montreal I got out of the car and started walking...road rage....Since age 16 I've driven 1,000,000 km's...now age 43...and I have discover the best "pressure relief valve"....I call it chainsaw therapy. Perform twice per week or more if needed.
image.jpg
What is your "pressure relief valve"?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Dealing with stress

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:48 am

My birds. They truly don't care what I look like, what I'm wearing or anything. They just take each day as it comes.They help me a lot.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Dealing with stress

Post by thegawd » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 am

before I met Lizzie I was, well you could say depressed. I was also somewhat of an alcoholic although not dependent on it I would spend most of my money on it. so I drank a lot. when the money ran out and I was somewhat loosing my mind I would grab my fishing pole and go fishing. I would fish for hours n hours and hopefully I caught some supper. fishing sure helped me get through some dark spots in my life.

now a days life sure has changed. I've been sober now for 4 years and 2 months. I have quite a few things to help relieve stress, I hunt, fish, keep poultry, shoot skeet, cut n split wood, build, fix and work on everything. Lizzie says I'm the most stress free person shes ever met.

one step at a time, Life is great!!!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Dealing with stress

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:34 am

Honestly this site is one of them, it's one of my escapes when the other stuff gets to be too much. Chickens were another release valve but they became part of the problem and that's why I let them go. Things got a little better for me so I may add to the three I have. Another thing is I visit friends for a coffee or tea and chat like people used to do, or I invite them here. If there is something I would like to go see like a fair, show etc, I make the effort to go. This time of year can be the worst for people, I hope everyone knows that. Also it can get really stressful when you are trying to write a thoughtful post and spell check keeps changing what I'm trying to say, grrrrr!

I don't think anyone will see that guy in a bad light if he is ill, I think people were upset because they felt someone was trying to pull a scam off against new poultry enthusiasts.

Another form of mental illness is Alzheimer's disease, not only for the person who has it but for the family around them, the stress can be unbearable at times.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Dealing with stress

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:37 am

The other thing I have found is that there are certain people in your life (often "friends") that cause you stress. I have just quietly "ghosted" away from them.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Dealing with stress

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 am

Definitely my birds and although I only use a hand saw, my hacking at the undergrowth to keep the walking paths open and accessible is a very close second.
Gardening during summer, and little bit of solitary adventure travel any time the spirit moves all help to keep me on a somewhat even keel.
I may have to add avoiding News broadcasts.
Interesting subject Bert,

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Dealing with stress

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 am

:feed ducks: :coffee: Al!

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing day after day and thinking things will change.

We (men) are the descendants of the meanest nastiest toughest SOB's who survived the wars, disease, natural disasters, and animal attacks of the last 30,000 years of modern man. We get an adrenaline dump for fight or flight in many every day activities (that #%%$! just cut me off) and this sloshes around and needs to be burned off by a violent activity (hit a ball, kick a heavy bag, drag a tree out of the woods) or it builds up in our system and causes health problems. (Thats a mix of science and my opinion)

I've counselled many young men "you gotta burn off steam man! Go join a karate class, put on gloves and beat on somebody (we wear helmets and body armour). You'll feel better."
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Dealing with stress

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:42 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST The other thing I have found is that there are certain people in your life (often "friends") that cause you stress. I have just quietly "ghosted" away from them.
So you are coming over soon, right ? ;)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Dealing with stress

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:46 am

Farming. PTO. Chickens. Hunting. Standing in the middle of my field and screaming helps too.
Supervising 11 people teaches a lot of management techniques....
I would say my number 1 is being out in the country away from the city and into quiet nature....
Oh yeah-divorcing thise people in my life that were constantly instigating crap....that helped a lot!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Dealing with stress

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST The other thing I have found is that there are certain people in your life (often "friends") that cause you stress. I have just quietly "ghosted" away from them.
Yep, ya gotta cut (or at least reduce) the energy vampires from your life.

Return to “Around the Waterer”