Good Morning! <=2017

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by TomK » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm

You folks have all the fun...lol..predators...possums...pigs opening just about anything...chicken feed on the car roof and 9lb chickens flying up to scatter the feed for the whole world to enjoy....what am I doing wrong?...lol... :sAng_banghead:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:11 am

Be careful what you wish for tom!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm

WLLady wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:42 am
ARGH!!!! we have a colony of possums living under our shed! our hyper dog had a tangle with one last night, it played possum and spent the rest of the next hour growling at us from under the shed....sigh. there's at least 2.....i haven't seen them myself but hubby scared one out of the wood pile a few weeks ago, and last night well, there's at least 2!!!!
all the turkeys and chickens are in today, barn is closed up tight.....maybe a horse can manage to step on them.....lol. was wondering how we were going through turkey feed at record speed....i think i know now! and why the guineas were always up on top of the pen.....a possum would be enough to scare them up for sure! so. short of a garden hose on high....not sure how to get them out. traps are baited, but no takers last night. we'll see if we can get them in the next few days.

I didn't know we have possums in Canada, that must be because you live in the tropical part of Canada! I don't know if this will work for possums but I use this on skunks that dig under the buildings to live. I take a 3 gallon pail of warm water, add in some bleach, enough to be smelly, even add in an old towel, pour the water down the hole, toss in the old towel and stand back. With the skunks it works in minutes, they hate the smell. Good luck.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Lol omg that would be awesome to do....alas its freezing here...even the eggs in the traps are frozen solid....and theres no hole per se just the 6-8 inches between the ground and the floor of the shed....but thinking i might just go and dump some bleach through the holes in the shed floor anyways. No clue if bleach will freeze-or smell less below freezing...hm....apparently they are quite large-bigger than our normal skunks. The prehensile tails are cool.....oh here i am not thinking....i will use hot water lol takes longer to freeze!!! Ha ha its saturday....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Ummm, honestly don't mean to be contrary, but thought I you'd want to know: hot water does, in fact, freeze faster than cold. This apparent quirk of nature is the "Mpemba effect," named after the Tanzanian high school student, Erasto Mpemba, who first observed it in 1963. The Mpemba effect occurs when two bodies of water with different temperatures are exposed to the same subzero surroundings and the hotter water freezes first. Mpemba’s observations confirmed the hunches of some of history’s most revered thinkers, such as Aristotle, Rene Descartes and Francis Bacon, who also thought that hot water froze faster than cold water.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
And Hobbes was fond of his dram.

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart,
"I drink, therefore I am."
Sorry, I had to :D

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 am

Lol i know but at least the steam would smell for a nanosecond lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:32 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 am
Lol i know but at least the steam would smell for a nanosecond lol

Well how cold is it down there lol? It would probably soak into the ground anyway. I wouldn't worry about freezing, it will either work shortly after or not at all. Maybe do it in the evening to encourage them to leave. The skunks hate it and usually make a dash within ten minutes.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Its -10 right now. Brrr. The wind is cold. We have snow and neither dog is sniffing around the sheds soi doubt the possums are there any more. We did really harrass themthe one night lol. No footprints either and neither trap sprung....
Chores soon and then maybe crawling into the woodstove to get warm again lol.
Looks like more snow on the way too.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Caught a possum here last week in coyote trap . Fattest one I've ever seen as I turned it loose & it wattled down the trail lol . Great tick eaters .Trip to London University Hospital to see knee surgeon Tues at 8am .
Hope snow / storm holds off a bit . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”