Good Morning! <=2017

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Happy Day - Sister just hatched at least one little one!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Yay Sister!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:22 am

Good morning everyone! well, our visitor arrived (martin's daughter) and we're having a good time! we're going to be kind of in and out of the forum for the next couple of weeks so if anyone has any issues try to email us instead of PM. we won't be online that much.
still feeling that physio from a couple days ago. hoping it was just the weather change the last 2 days, but....oh well. will start back into gentle physio again tonight.

got a "first egg" from a pullet hatched this spring! i love finding the very first ones, the little ones. yay! one of my ameraucanas. the little eggs always get a great dose of the colour too, concentrated so it's very blue! put all the younger girls into their breeding pens on the weekend, and they're all happy with the new boys, also young cockerels....much quieter in the morning since only the 2 older boys are crowing right now. nice to see everyone settled in well, and no huge problems with the merging of the youngsters with the older girls. yay! have a few more to grow out, and then some more hatching later on this month, and then clean up the hatcher/incubators for the winter and onwards with generation 5 of all the projects! i sold some birds to a young lady just last weekend who saw my welbars and immediately reserved for chicks next year :-) feels good.

hope everyone has a wonderful day!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:11 am

Good morning,
Happy travels admin & family...
Tis the time to entertain visitors, had 2 granddaughters visiting from Yukon,
Being a mother of three sons , I must say girls are way more complicated!!!
Never thought I would hear myself say things like......
You can catch frogs, but you can't put them in your pockets......
I don't care how tight you are holding that giant locust, he isn't coming n to the house....
The dog isn't allowed on the couch whatever he might be telling you....
It was great fun, but any more of it would have probably killed me ;)
Foggy and warm here, the fog so thick you can feel it.
Have a sunny one!

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:23 am

Good morning! Its a sunny day, yesterday was a wash. Got nearly 3/4 inch. The Dundas Cactus Parade we go to every year was cancelled. I babysat Mason all day. We invited Colleen and her hubby to the parade... but ended up going out for supper instead, and then back to watch the flying squirrels that live in the cabin. I guess we built it just for them, lol. Was a very damp drippy night, but all had fun.

Cleaning out the mother in laws house as best I can. Had terrific help from Colleen, we spent all day long one day this past week, starting near 8am, and I finally crawled home at 10:30pm. I did come down for a sausage, lol. All we got done was the attic mostly... brought all down, went thru some, and dumped the rest. Got another load or more in the garage, and the basement needs tackling. Then cupboard contents, hutch contents... and whole kitchen. Did get the fridge mostly cleaned... bottom anyhow. Thanks Colleen!!

Mother in law went to a retirement home.... and the house is literally a hell hole. Mice/rat/pee/poop in every single thing imaginable. I didn't realize there was an infestation problem. Also, her cat/dog had peed on everything.... ripped up OLD carpet a few years ago, when the dog was put down, and put brand new it. Its pretty well pooched... her mess.... and she left a tap on, flooded the kitchen, and went into the hall, under the carpet, buckled the hardwood slats underneath..... and well... we are looking at an insurance job now.

Bed room had mats down. Guess the cleaning lady who came in, just vacuumed them. I went to lift them up and out, and literall stuck to the floor. Backing still stuck, with major pee damage all over that room. The smell is so bad of pee in there, from soaked hardwood for AGES, its got to be tore up. I'm so sick of this crap. Sick sick sick. Two people who went into that room gagged to the point of puking..... and you just don't get used to the smell after being in there after 10 minutes or so. Disgusting.

AND I'M GOING TO MOVE INTO THAT HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure the carpet in the attic is mouse pissed severely. The animals didn't have access to that part over the years.

The basement is a damp cobwebby dirty mess. Water runs in thru the basement stairs, that go out into the garage. Mud literally had to be shovelled from the doorway INSIDE, to try and open it. Well, mud is up against it garage side... AND so severely swelled, no hope in hell of probably ever opening it. And if it is attempted and succeeded.. the door will wreck, or either will not ever shut again. So... big sump hole in the other end... that the water runs into.

Theres been a hole in the bottom basement window forever. Probably the mouse entrance. I've heard Gary say that the windows are generic and they could put some in.... well... I've got someone on the job, and will pay for him to do it, and do it now. I don't want the FALL rush of rodents coming in and out.

So... I've got my work load ahead of me. That old lady kept every single card/letter/newspaper clipping... put them into books/albums.... shes got stamp collections.... tons of wool..... that have to be pitched... mice nests/crap in all. photo albums. Books books books. trophies. Framed stuff from government for farming/50th anniversary, crap crap crap. blankets/pillows.... tables/beds/blankets... all mice damaged... holy crap.

I guess you get the idea. AND as for keeping stuff... I have LOTS OF MY OWN!!. I have many books. Bee/garden/poultry/horse....... all my reference books... paper backs... cook books.... canning books... movies.... and all my canning stuff/jars/canners.... every single thing I have practically gathered in this house since I moved in, in 1984. I'm not ready for this move... not ready to quit the farming..... (but ready to down size cows), my greenhouse will have to go... it will literally fall apart to try and move it... not sure if I will be 'allowed' to keep my chickens/guinea's/turkeys and allow them free ranging.... (won't be my lawn anymore)..... as we have started the farm succession planning to 'hand' down the farm to Gary's son Jeremy and his wife.

Not not not ready for this.

I am severely grateful for colleen to help me some in this endeavor because I would never be able to do it myself. I wake up every morning with a sinking feeling, when I realize I won't be waking up in this bed soon, looking out my window at the trees at the birds... and not only that, moving to a house that is only 1/4 of the size of this one. And I have all these rooms here full, and don't know how to even attempt to manage to part with a lot of my 'stuff'.

Heather wants to be in here by september 2018, so Jacob can catch the bus and go to the school he will be going thru. AND wants this house emptied so she can 'fix' it up, 'clean' it.... before then. I really don't know how it will be done. I guess it will all come together somehow.

I guess I did know at the tender age of 25 when I moved here..... that this day was coming..... but holy, how did it come so fast!! And it has to happen now. Gary is 66 and slowing down alot. Jeremy is nearly 40! I wouldn't want a huge mortgage at 40. Sigh.

Enough of my long winded problem. I'd better go do the bookwork. Been a long time since thats been done. Too wet from rain all day yesterday to get into the garden, and I DO need to pick beans/cucumbers... make pickles.... and peppers to make pickled hot ones.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:57 pm

SO I don't know what is going on this year. Sister had 5 eggs and she has now finished her hatch. 3 hatched, one dead in shell at about 17 daysand one egg missing - she's behind hardware cloth. Sadly I had to cull one, poor little thing had a badly formed anus and protrudng gut at the back and was trying to keep up bleeding from it. I hate that bit. Good job DH wasn't home. She has 2 sturdy little ones to take of though.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I don't know what's going on this year either. It's been bizarre here too. Sorry to hear you had to cull a little one. I can appreciate how difficult it is, although I've not had to do it myself yet. Although in hindsight, I should have with Cookie instead of letting her go on that one last day.
Glad to hear that she has two healthy little ones to care for. Two is so much better than one lonely chick, IMO.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I think you were probably right to try with Cookie, she had a hope of pulling through. If I had left this little one it would have been an unpleasant, possibly slow death.
Mutt chickens for eggs

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:09 pm

:beer: :beer2: to BVF, we accumulate a lifetime of stuff, and to downsize and move into a house in that rough a shape.... :gaah: :barf:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:15 am

BVF Wow I feel for you, honestly the only thing you can do would be to gut that house. The house we bought the lady was a hoarder and they took away 5 big dumpsters. We gutted the house and you would not have believed the mouse poop in the ceiling.

Return to “Around the Waterer”