Good Morning! <=2017

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Its the mad scramble to get food because they might starve with the stores closed on monday.....lol. u fortunately i must go grocery shopping today because our fridge is practically empty.....we were not really planning on being home over the holidays and the stores have been crazy so we just got essentials, and now we have to go. Sigh. We just got above -10!! Its -9 out and the sun just appeared.....hopefully it will warm up the barn a bit. I need to lay down some more shavings tonight to help keep the birds a bit warmer....i just keep hoping the water doesnt freeze in the barn!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Brrrrr, kkkco, kkcoo, cold out again. Actually it warmed up to -24 here last night, much better than the -32 for the last few days. When I watch the Toronto news with people complaining about the -10 I yell booooo at the tv lol. Our daytime highs are colder than their nights. It's becoming a royal pain to keep water ahead of the hens and mother rabbit. The barn has been holding at -10 but is dropping in temperature now. Watch your animals if your shed is not that warm, my neighbour text me last night and said his rooster died, it was young and healthy.

My girls slowed down, only between 3 to 5 eggs from 9 hens, some days seven but mostly 5 or less.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Caravan seems to have no trouble starting in this weather but years ago I had a p/u that when cold like this I hung a 60 watt old style light bulb by the battery on a timer . Worked well .
Seems that motor to cold for cold battery to turn over or battery to weak for cold motor oil .
Our birds doin just fine , proper & well
ventilated barn lots a room dry floors . No water in barn in winter to freeze take down in pail . Luck all just a few more days .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 am

Not sure but my girls seem to like this cold...I’m getting more eggs! I haven’t gotten any blue eggs in several months but have now gotten one every day for the last 3 days. Only downside is that a few freeze before I can collect them.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 am

One of my oldest girls has started laying again. She's 6 and the one that had crop issues in the fall. Last year she didn't start up again until February so not sure what's going on! All the others that were laying have slowed down again with these temps. The girl in the pic of the month still hasn't stopped had a very light molt this year. I think Stella (my odd-ball slow feathering cochin chick) is gearing up to start laying. She's 7 months old and suddenly eating and drinking like CRAZY! Has anyone else noticed a pullet do this just before laying? I would think she has worms but I wormed everyone in fall.

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning! <=2017

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:42 am

Good morning and a Happy new Year!!

For maintenance reasons I am locking this post and starting a new one in one second. I think 587 pages of posts is enough.....

See you in the new one!
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Return to “Around the Waterer”