General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:48 pm

JimW wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:37 pm

I did not mark the eggs just name and phone number on the egg cartons. I don't know how they keep the eggs separate, I never asked, set them in different trays. I had them incubate my eggs in 2 separate batches, with my BC marans and Olive Eggers separate and my legbar and Bielefelder x Legbar separate from each other because hard to tell apart, and that worked out with no problems.
I asked about that, as I will be taking Blue Columbian and Columbian, but each variety may throw some of the other and I need to keep the lines separate, and they said to do what you did, keep them in separate boxes.
And now I am typing that I realize I will need to keep them in separate brooders .... providing of course that something actually hatches. ;)

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:28 am
Sounds excellent Jim!

OK a word of warning to those who have turkeys and love Irises! DO NOT plant white irises just outside the turkey pen. Their growth habit makes them look like my BSWs but outside the pen at a quick glance or on an early morning.
Oops, I thought you were going to say your tom was having a go at them!
Silly me!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:13 pm

I wouldn't put it past him! The log rolling incident was amusing!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:48 pm
And now I am typing that I realize I will need to keep them in separate brooders .... providing of course that something actually hatches. ;)
Could you not use different leg bands to separate them?
Sorry, if that's a silly question.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 pm

OC

My BC marans chicks and Olive Eggers look the same and my cream legbar and cream legbar cross bielefelders look the same I have them in different brooder now but I just leg banded my olives and the crosses so if I move them around I know who is who. I do the same with my svart hona and ayam cemani chicks ... svarts get banded cemani no band. I just use small zip ties to start then replace them with real legbars.

Best of luck
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:56 pm

JimW wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 pm
OC

My BC marans chicks and Olive Eggers look the same and my cream legbar and cream legbar cross bielefelders look the same I have them in different brooder now but I just leg banded my olives and the crosses so if I move them around I know who is who. I do the same with my svart hona and ayam cemani chicks ... svarts get banded cemani no band. I just use small zip ties to start then replace them with real legbars.

Best of luck
poultry_admin wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:15 pm
Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:48 pm
Could you not use different leg bands to separate them?
Sorry, if that's a silly question.
Not a silly question at all, I have tried zip ties, not a great success, they tried to get theirs and their hatch mates off, it was a bit of a mayhem so
haven't tried it since.
I don't mind using separate brooders just had to laugh that I was so concerned about the hatchery keeping them separate and completely forgot that I would also have to do that.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Evening all!
Sitting here just finishing up dinner, snacking on strawberries from the garden. Hoping for rain. Just had a 50 foot from home salad lol. 2 different kinds of lettuce and zucchini and garic scapes and a summer squash from the garden. With strawberries.
Yum

Well our patio door glass just decided to shatter today. Interesting. The inside pane. Out of the blue. So we taped the entire surface of the glass nd peeled it out and stuffed it into a box for disposal. Never seen that happen before.
20170617_151632.jpg
20170617_164302.jpg
Just the inside pane. If it had been the outside and a bird strike or something it would make sense....

Spread a pile of manure today-i drove the atv again...yay. and then replaced one of the gates in the horse paddocks. Cleans the brooders and vacuumed the basement around the brooders-in prep for what is cheeping in the incubator upstairs!! Day 20 right now....

My hand finally is purple lol. From mr rir rooster. He will taste good.
14977398076111138231205.jpg
Guineas are in the trailer coop in the garden...a few more weeks until they are good with where they live and then they are turned loose.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey What happened with no Guineas? Wasn't it you who said no guineas?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Yeah. Rest assured they will be freezer camped closer ro christmas. I like ticks less than guineas and we are overrun with ticks. They are a bit better than a month ago....but....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Ha! Ha! Yeah they are worth it to get rid of the ticks , its too bad they are so noisy.

Return to “Around the Waterer”