Rhonda's Weasel Adventures Volume 163.

General discussion forum.
Rhonda
On the Roost

Post by Rhonda » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:48 pm

So I drag hubby outside this afternoon to do some work on the hen house. The fixes we made on the chicken door were temporary and I wanted it fixed well since the other weasel showed up this week. I was waiting in the yard leaning on the coop waiting while hubby went inside to grab a few more screws. The coop is right in front of the garden and beside that is a pile of cedar logs waiting to be fence posts. I look over at the pile of logs and sticking its head out looking at me is ANOTHER WEASEL !!! :question: :question: :question:
I yell at Terry," There's one right here", " one what" "weasel". At that point he ducks back into the pile of logs, then sticks his head out the other end, just to prove to Terry he is in fact there. This was 2 in the afternoon with us banging on the hen house 10 feet away and the dog under foot. By now the dog spots him and has him cornered under there. Terry finished up the door and I got the chickens in safe and sound. They were of course outside in their run.
So traps are baited and live trap is right at the end of the pile of logs. I cant believe we have another one !!!

Will a barn cat keep them away??

Brebis
Chatty Hen
Birthday

Post by Brebis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:17 pm

A good barn cat will kill them if it catches one.

Since it seems the be living in the pile of logs, is it possible to move them farther away from the coop? May make it harder for it to get to it as they don't like to travel over large wide open spaces.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Rhonda
On the Roost

Post by Rhonda » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:43 pm

I don't think it is really living in there. I think they live in the shed attached to the barn and we disturbed it today digging around for wood to fix the henhouse then got caught out in the open and went there for shelter from the dog. I thought they were nocturnal.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Wow Rhonda sounds like a weasel infested place you got there . Must be right on their trail . Don't live in colonies. Found this , not sure if in order . Luck
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Well, if you do the math off the sheets Ross posted, you have to eradicate your problem this month. The earlier the better or they are going to more than double. What a pain. Best of luck.

We had a big tom cat and he used to drop the dead weasels at the door. So I know a cat can take them on, but I would think given a weasel's temperment that it would have to be a good size hunter of a cat.

Return to “Around the Waterer”