Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:36 am

Oh @Farrier1987 parsnips! Does St. Catherine know you are such a tease????
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:56 am

it was sunny, for an hour. now it's cloudy the wind is blowing and we have 30cm of snow forecasted for thursday night. bring it on. maybe people will stay home.....lol. working from home till this aft and then on holidays. needed. for some reason. back is still bugging me. but so far so good and the left rod is still intact. and i can actually do some things now. like walk a mile on the treadmill. i still can't make the mailbox outside though even with my cane/walking poles. argh. I'm seriously thinking about an electric ATV so i can get around and not have the noise of the engine...

looks like the dog will have a play date around noon. good for her. will be a quiet christmas here, just me and DH. it's all good. although presents are "in shipping" and unlikely to arrive in time. oh well. they'll just come after christmas. it is what it is. it's not like i didn't order it in october! gah!
this perpetual cloud is ridiculous. so much for seeing the conjunction (why oh why are they calling it a christmas star? it's not even 1 point-they're planets still separated...and the christmas star that was supposedly over bethleham was a comet....not a conjunction....i digress). We did see it on the internet. i'm still hoping for some clear sky some night soon, since they'll still be close for a few days yet.
i finally got 14 eggs yesterday. farrier, if she wants to drive i have lots of eggs and could sell her 6 dozen if she wants.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Very interesting and respectful discussion on Sky & Telescope as to what might have been seen. You need to get to the Comments section.
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-n ... njunction/
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-n ... junctions/
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Went out to do last time this year grocery store run to Farm Boy ( the only in person shopping I do) all else done online.
Arrived at 7:30 am and the parking lot was full.
Took me 45 minutes to spend $160, fish, duck and ham from the meat counter and I feel I don't have to go out for a month.
Actually looking in the freezer, partially stocked by @Killerbunny I may not need to go out for 6 month if needed.
Interestingly a woman parked beside me in the parking lot commented that there is a line up at IGA to get in the parking lot, that was 8:15 am, yet there are very few people doing curbside pick up at IGA, so very few people take advantage of on line ordering, I don't get it.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:05 pm

Cause don’t always get what yu want / need & at big stores when on lockdown could take up to 2 wks before P/U .
My experience anyway . Small Foodland stores (more expensive) seem to be Bout 2-3 certain days but ares isn’t doing it this time cause they say store all set up now with plastic at tills & aisles ready from first shutdown .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Food Basics don't do it anyway but they are very organised both inside and out. Superstore had several weeks wait last time and don't have a lot of what you want. I hope they will be more organised this time. Local WM requires you to be outsde and text in with a PU #, we don't have a mobile that can text. When I ordered an item once pre COVID the woman got really nasty becuse I didn't have a phone to call to the back area.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:12 pm

Apparently our needs are few, and none important enough to be willing to line up or be herded around like sheep.
Very grateful for businesses which found a way to deliver what we want without dramatics and unnecessary stress, they will be getting our business even in post pandemic times :)

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Merry Christmas to everyone!! However Merry it can be.

Its snowing, after a little rain today. It started before I went to bed last night, and rained a little throughout the day, but not a whole lot. Sure looks nice with all the christmas lights on at all 3 houses back here. Dave has the most up.

I made 2 banana loaves and 2 of the Lemon blueberry bread with lemon glaze. If you like lemons, its delicious!! And so so easy. I am into one of those, and will give the other one to Melissa. I gave my son Robert one of the banana loaves. The other is in the freezer.

For Christmas this year, we will likely to go Dave's and watch the kids in the morning. I've been babysitting for Sawyer all week.... and as long as we sit on the couch by the door, and everyone else is over on the other side of the room, I'm sure it will be good. I feel like a dope sitting on the couch all day, when Sawyer is in his room with the door shut (with a mask on )
, coming out only for bathroom and a snack/lunch, which I have ready, and he takes to his room. Oh well.

Everyone has their bag/boxes of gifts... and it will be a quiet christmas. I will make the turkey, gravy and dressing, and send it down to Dave and Jeremy's. They will make their contributions, and send it up here. At least we here on the farm will have a christmas turkey dinner. I will make a plate for Robert, Jen and his two boys (soon 3 and 4) at a later date, and they can come pick it up and take it home. Or eat it in their truck, lol. Melissa took one of my fat chickens, and she will make a christmas dinner for Scott, their two kids, and likely Scotts mom and dad. They live right next door to them, as in they can open their respective doors and have a conversation, lol. I guess they are in their bubble.

Sure will be weird this year.

Will go to Paisley and see my dad when the weather is nice, and I can travel there and back safely. We have also been slowly clearing out the house of garbage, literally junk shes collected... boxes, empty pie plates, other containers..... $1000's of $$ of dollar store JUNK....purple vases/flowerpots/drinking cups/fake flowers/grapes/other bling bling bling. OMG.

He will need groceries, and the hospital called him, and mom is asking for pop, ice cream bars, a razor and scissors. I will attempt to cut her hair, if they will let me come in. (I've never cut hair in my whole life.. except maybe trim Melissa's bangs once. Dad has only been once, with his condition, its too much for him to get there, and up to her room. I would say its hard on him emotionally. Theres nothing wrong with her, except he can't take care of her, with her dementia... and last fall she was leaving the house and knocking on doors, wanting a ride down here to us. If she did it this time of year, could be deadly. I told her that, when she said she didn't think nothing was wrong with her. I don't think she computes it.. when I tell her that her mind isn't what it once was. The last visit, you would swear she was normal, except she kept asking me if the book I was holding (and brought in) had a black cover, and make sure to take it home so it wouldn't get lost. This was after she made room for it in her dresser drawer, then took it out. Sad.

I've been splitting wood, what I can, when people drag it up, and cut it into lengths. I love to do it, and I'm hoping it keeps me in shape. Enough to eat all this baking, ha ha.

Well, hoping everyone has a good time over the holidays, and if traveling, be safe.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:13 pm

@poultry_admin you’ve made my day with the popping lights!

(Simple pleasures...)
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:43 am

hi everyone

well, it looks like the breakable christmas lights are messing up with the buttons in the top row for logging in, unread posts etc. as soon as poultry_admin is in from plowing i'll get him to take a look.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”