Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by ross » Wed May 06, 2020 12:33 am

Buy a licence , box a shells & a shotgun & they seem to disappear around here but reappear after season ends . Go figure . Seen 1 hen here 1/4 mile away lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 06, 2020 8:49 am

Epona wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:56 pm
Is this a bumper year for wild turkeys....they sure are busy around here. Lots of toms strutting their stuff in the fields and out on the lawn.
I think so, one woke me up at 5 am, had lots to say ;)
Wild turkey displaying.jpg

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Wed May 06, 2020 10:36 pm

Good evening. Mainly been gardening around here lately, most of my birds are still at friends' houses being looked after by then. Today is 3 months since my double bypass surgery, feeling pretty good, but chest, shoulders and arms still quite sift and sore, I am really hoping I will be able to visit a massage therapist some time soon. I have been doing my rehab walking program and tomorrow start to add a bit of strength training into my routine.

Planted squash, cucumber, melon and pumpkin seeds a few days ago. Currently in the process of making a raspberry patch, and need to decide where to plant 5 apple trees and a couple wild plums. I picked up my 50 bare root tree seedlings, maples, hickory, chokecherry and balsam fir from local forest centre. It was just curbside pick up and all the trees were in sealed bags, when I got home I opened the bag of 10 Balsam Fir seedlings... I thought it felt heavy... they gave me 100 fir trees, instead of 10. Now I have a lot more planting than I planned. Oh well in 7 to 10 years I can set up "Jim's Christmas Tree" Stand.

Good night all.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu May 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Oh my! 100 trees to plant, amazing!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 pm

@JimW ..wow!..so that's what's happening at HFFC...i try to get Balsam firs ordered every year there but missed out last autumn being told "Sold Out"...kinda figures if the warehouse crew can't count..lol.. :sAng_banghead:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu May 07, 2020 11:45 pm

@TomK... with my invoice it stated that the Balsam Fir crop at Ferguson FC failed, so they brought in seedlings from another Ontario nursery, so I think the quantities they had were low. I am thinking someone mislabeled or mixed up 10 trees verses 10 bundles of 10 trees.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 08, 2020 2:29 pm

AMusing afternoon. We got a cheapish greenhouse to use for poults and plants too. DH is putting it up and hears a peeting noise. The most adorable duckling walks up to him. Poor thing is cold. We checked around and our new neighbours have ducklings. The little guy had walked a very long way from their barn to us. Good job we were working outside. At least we got to meet our new neighbours after 6 weeks LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 08, 2020 5:25 pm

The eggs under my ducklings are making noise today! and i have 3 of 7 turkeys hatched in the incubator.....just got 4 dozen eggs delivered for putting into the incubator tomorrow, have to lockdown muscovies sometime today (somehow, while the turkeys are still hatching. hm that was not good planning on my part) and then ameraucanas should hatch tomorrow or sunday.....
both my old roosters got into a couple of days ago, resulting in one completely breaking off a spur, right down at the root, tore the root out and everything. and the other ripped out a couple of nails, and now won't walk anywhere, and is holed up in the barn with the shavings. whatever. they're both 7 years old....and have been together....and no idea why they just suddenly decided to have an issue with each other. sigh.

taped up bubble wrap over all the greenhouse windows in prep for -5 tonight. have the heater out there, and this wind could quit now! its sunny but been snowing off and on all day. yuck. not staying on the ground, but still! it's windy windy windy, and that wind definitely has a bite to it. i hope this is the last of it. but i remember saying that about 3 weeks ago too....hm. we shall see! i just hope that nothing dies out there in the greenhouse tonight. everything has been growing slowly with the cool weather, but it's all looking good.....guess we'll see tomorrow around noon or so.

i'm glad that duckling found your hubby! it's too cold out there for babies right now! (and here i am with muscovies likely to hatch right in the middle of the cold snap ha ha).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri May 08, 2020 5:37 pm

@WLLady , can you express post me some of your energy?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Crazy Spring weather day. Drove into the Ottawa Heart Institute this morning to get some post operation blood testing done, I have never seen a hospital so dead, at least not much of a wait.

After my blood work, I picked up 120 three gallon plastic pails that were used in a flower shop for cut flowers, for next to nothing. I will drill some drainage holes and now I have 120 three gallon plastic pots!! Plus I picked up about 50 one gallon peat pots, a bunch of 4" peat pots and some peat seed flats the other day all for free, not 100% sure why, but could not pass up the free deal. Also picked up 2 bags full of free Jerusalem artichoke tubers, just need to decide where to plant them.

Well off to transplant a few more plants into bigger pots.

Hope everyone had a good day... stay warm and have a good weekend. Walleye season opens tomorrow for fishing here!!!! But my boat is at the marina for repairs and going to be cold this weekend, so I will wait a bit until I hit the water to try my luck at catching something.

Cheers
Black & Blue Poultry

Return to “Around the Waterer”