water: i am glad we don't have this problem

General discussion forum.
Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: water: i am glad we don't have this problem

Post by Brebis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Peeing in the shower is better than in the public swimming pool I reckon! :barf:
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 pm

With my recent well issues I've had a small taste of dealing with a lack of potable water. We've decided to hold off until better weather to get some fixes done to the well and landscaping around the area. So I've been filling containers at a nearby spring for drinking, cooking and animals. Luckily I live in Springwater Township and have easy access to the cleanest water in the world. I detest the taste of bottled water. This water is amazing. And it very narrowly escaped having a dump built right on top of this aquifer several years back.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... kbQvSvecQE

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:25 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am
That was a slogan years ago in the UK, Save Water Bath with a friend, except all the prudes got up in arms about it!
I believe one of the Provinces was bringing in water metering on your own well water too???
KB..that second part has sat in my craw forever...first off, this concept that we all 'own' the water that exists is just plain stupid...its a requirement of life and the other creatures we share the planet with need it just as much...so what are you gonna do...charge them for its use...asshats!!!!!!...anyway, here's a thought..I live very rurally, middle of nowhere, middle of a field no less, so in order to exist here, i needed to drill a well, at my expense, bring it to the house, at my expense, run the pressurized plumbing system and maintain it to a safe potable standard, at my expense...then i use it, drink it and run it out a drainage system also installed at my expense, into a septic tank and leeching field, again at my expense..all to gummint specifications...so unless, i wash my car/truck out on my crushed stone driveway in 95deg July summer days or water my lawn I actually don't use any water except that which goes down my gullet, which incidentally i could do from the stream on the back 40...so I am actually merely 'using' the water, not consuming it never to return...I defy some idiot politician to come up with a valid argument why i should pay somebody else to 'use' the water which i return to the earth. And I don't use ANY of those commercial ( read unknown chemical concoctions ) cleaners and just willy nilly flush them down the drain to a collective treatment facility that merely filters out the lumps and kills the bacteria with chlorine before sending it back for use in your morning coffee.....geez, this whole thing makes me nuts....rant over ( for now ).... :running-chicken:
Last edited by TomK on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 am

:good post: :bow:
Not to mention, that municipalities that have water metering systems are charging a tax on top of a tax. Don't even get me started on that one, it has me seeing red all over again lol
If a private well metering system should ever come to pass, they will have to install such a thing on my property over my dead body, and I'll be taking some of them with me.
I might not own the water we consume, but I own the well, and the money that goes into its maintenance is all me. Should I ever need to drill a new one, I have a good idea what it will cost to get it through the bedrock just 4 feet down and deep enough to make sure I have water for myself and for my food (animals).
Handing that over to a township would mean I hand over a piece of my property, and then fork over money for drinking water in perpetuity. Not going to happen in my lifetime. It would be a bad day to be a contract worker for the municipality.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 am

"Another thing to consider is that municipal waste treatment plants are limited in how much they can clean water. People flushing hundreds of gallons of soapy, greasy water full of lawn chemicals and salts, down laneways, roads and municipal drains, are just BEGGING for trouble."

I don't understand why we have nasty chemicals for jobs that should be done with elbow grease, or hot water or vinegar. Everything we dump down the drain (or spray on the land) comes back to us somehow. its just plain karma: "everything you do, good or bad, comes back upon you three times."
the nasty chemicals should be used for special occasions, not everyday chores.
i.s. Swiffer westjet: spray chemicals on the floor then your toddler or pet crawls on it. and you wonder where cancer comes from?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 am

I make my own floor cleaning solutions with vinegar, oil of orange, a drop of dish soap and water.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am

That's similar to my coop cleaner: I fill a glass container with citrus peels - lemon, orange, lime or grapefruit - and cover them with vinegar, set it somewhere out of the way for 6 weeks, and then transfer liquid to a spray bottle.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

the chickenvilla
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by the chickenvilla » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Our local school had a class of students from Japan here for 3 month, one of them was living with us.
They all wanted to take a shower everyday for at least 45 minutes ( we gave our student 10 minutes - which made her complain every day)
is this the way how all or most people in Japan or Asia think?
and everyday (at home) they wash there cloth separate - they don't put laundry together - even in the same house and family - every persons laundry get's washed separate ,
all of this students wanted to run the washing machine every day - for the clothe they were wearing in school - and if the clothe could not go together, they would run the machine for a single piece.
hopefully this students learned something about water in the time they were here

my husband went to Asia a few years ago and every 30 minutes every place which was open to the public got sprayed with disinfection
(stores, train stations, meeting hall - he was there on work)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:06 pm

In your cleaners KB & Jaye are there any disinfectents in it or just cleaners ?
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

The orange oil is a natural disinfectant
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”