Winter Wonderland!

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Winter Wonderland!

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 am

Good question about your growing season. I moved near Chatham from Calgary area, and I am guessing its somewhat similar? You can count on June July and August (usually) with no frost. And in summer max heat usually low thirties but not that often. Winter, a couple weeks straight of -40 usually some time in jan feb. I had to adjust to potato vines dying off here when they mature. I had never seen that before, first year I thought they had some disease. You knew they were ready to dig around labour day, tops were still green, or black because a frost had knocked them flat. Kids walked in slush first day of school lots of times.

So Muffin, am I close?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 pm

This year we did have a very short growing season. Quite disappointing for all the work, but I am thankful for what we did harvest. My husband does the gardening now, as I'm not able to, but grow some herbs, tomatoes and peppers in pots. My work is more the freezing and preserving. We usually have our garden planted in May, but this year not until late June, it was so wet. This was also a very cool summer with not too much heat, only a few days. Then we had frost at the end of August early September. The tomatoes were doing so good and all of a sudden died off in August. I had a lot of compliments from people on my tomatoes. Too wet and cold. We got a lot of potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, garlic, various kinds of squash and a few onions. We also, had lots of asparagus in the spring. Bad year for pickling cucumbers and very hard to find any to buy. My husband finally found some at George's Market in town, and they weren't the best, but I didn't have much choice. I like to make pickles and relish. We also had to buy our tomatoes and peppers. I freeze tomatoes for winter and I like to make and bottle salsa sauce.

Yes, we usually can grow from May - October. Sometime we may have to cover things, but this year was one of the worst for weather. We'll see what happens next year.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm

We have been getting mixed precipitation every day here. Doesn't make for very good road conditions, but I sure feel sorry for those who live in the Ottawa area for all the rain and flooding.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 pm

I finally got some wet snow here. It blew all day so it's hard to say how much - maybe an inch. Temp was -3 with a bit of a wind chill. Saw a bit of sun for a couple of hours after 12:00. Tomorrow is forecast for clouds and no snow, but maybe up to 15 or 25 cm of snow on the weekend. Roads were icy, but I didn't have to go anywhere today. It's always nice when the weather is ugly, but you don't have to travel. :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 am

I used to live in Orillia and one year when we added a carport the snow came mid-September, the same weekend we were due to roof it! Tarp stayed on until APril!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 am
I used to live in Orillia and one year when we added a carport the snow came mid-September, the same weekend we were due to roof it! Tarp stayed on until APril!
Was that the year Orillia smashed snowfall records? Lol I remember that winter. I went to Orillia about twice a month for work and you drove through snow tunnels everywhere. It just wouldn't stop.

@muffin57 your pics look beautiful but snow always looks pretty somewhere else ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 am

Yes it was, long time ago. The library roof caved in!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”