Good Morning - 2023

General discussion forum.
lolotsung
Free Ranging

Re: Good Morning - 2023

Post by lolotsung » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:13 pm

So 11 chickens went in the coop and there was one in a tree. I put a ladder under her to bring her to the coop and she flew up higher. Now she's about 20 feet high. I could climb the tree but she has wings and a weight advantage 😂🤣😂
Any suggestions?
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:34 pm

I think she went even higher up! Well I can't see her and she should be safe for the night so high up. Maybe I'll keep them in the coop for a week.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:19 am

I hope she stayed up there and was safe! It was a chilly night!

Here's an idea for next time. My friend gave me a hockey stick for just such an occasion. Hold the hockey stick with the bent part just a little lower than the branch she is on, and she should be tempted to step onto it so that you can lower the stick and grab her. Good luck!

Linda

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:07 pm

I think she was sleepy. I found her in a tree ànd she let me pick her up and bring her to the coop. Thanks for the hockey stick trick!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:34 pm

@Farrier I sent you a PM. Please check it out.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:12 pm

I done it. That fickle friend.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:54 am

@Farrier can you Email me, I lost yours when I switched computers.
Jan is likely scared because she killed your raspberry canes (by accident) but fear not I'm giving her some of mine from your stock in spring!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:56 am

Good morning!! Was just reading up on whatever I hadn't read from my last post. As little as I use this site... I too will miss it.

Right now, waiting on WLLady, and Martin, they are picking up ducks from my neighbour. Relatives of the ducks she originally gave me. My neighbour took them (to get ducks) and overwinter them. They are so messy for my little box stall. And, they are going to help me trim chicken/turkey/peacock nails, LOL. And a cat.

Took a cat to the vet... hes 18 this spring... thought he had a cold. Turns out, no cold, but SEVERELY INFECTED gross ingrown toenail. I feel horrible. So, thats Roscoe. Stray boy needs a trim, his 'dewclaw', is nearly touching his pad. Never thought barn cats would require a trim, and haven't, don't they need them for defense? Well, Roscoe is at the end of his days... and last thing he would do is fight... and obviously doesn't scratch his nails down on the barn posts anymore. Poor thing.

Chickens are caught.... and got the ivomec out as well. So nice out!!

My friend up the road, has so much in Common with Wllady, both drive newish ford pickup trucks... I'm thinking same colour? And both have a farm, Clydesdales, chickens/turkeys/ducks, bees.... cats/dog 's' kind of neat. My friend wants either eggs or some ducklings back at some point... but she also knows anything can happen in the world of livestock especially free ranging birds.

Sun is just starting to come out, and its warm out already!! I spent a lot of time in the barn, topping everyone up, changing water, playing with cats....catching birds.....so, easy week coming up.

Except for Wed/Thurs... when they are saying ICE STORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Like the freaking board of education, hasn't made us drive in a horrid predicted snowstorm that one day, and had an 2 ice events since. Everytime a storm/ice is predicted, Gary goes out and gets the generator rev'd up, lol.

Well, I guess I will sort of get ready to go out again. About 15 minutes ago, they said they were just getting on the 403.... and the way Martin drives, they could be here in 1/2 hr, lol.

Hope everyone has a great family day weekend!!

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:51 am

@Bayvistafarm it must be the day! Just did our turkeys nails and the young Tom couldn't wait to get to work with the girls! The girls really like this chap. He sometimes has a lineup waiting for his services LOL!
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:06 pm

hi all will be back on in a while i am on the road....lets talk lol but after i get home!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”